Dogface puffer rescue??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I already have him in the QT and don't have the medications for the baths. I'll have to go ahead and start copper I think because of the severity of his case unless you feel different...

I'm looking at the pics you posted again and some of the white spots look a little "brook like": https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

This lines up as I've seen brook on clownfish almost every time I've been in a Petco lately. :eek:

So, in addition to treating with copper I would also dose metro for 2 weeks: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/metronidazole.298762/

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8635.JPG
IMG_8636.JPG
@Humblefish @melypr1985 or any other fish disease expert's,
I was increasing the copper level a little bit this afternoon, and checking on him. His appetite seems to have dwindled quite a bit. I put a piece of krill in but he doesn't seem interested. I suppose that is to be expected. I have some soaking and garlic. I also just dosed the metro
I know that one of the most helpful things in a situation like this as pictures. After reaching my camera around the side of the tank and grabbing a couple more shots, and B's look like very distinct white spots to be ich. Have I missed diagnosed?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Ich to me, but I don't have a lot of experience with brook. I don't think keeping with the metro/copper will hurt. Plus, the metroplex has antibiotic properties which will help with all of those bite marks [emoji37]

I would maybe throw in an extra airline for good measure if you haven't already. Using multiple medications can really suck the O2 out of the water.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Ich to me, but I don't have a lot of experience with brook. I don't think keeping with the metro/copper will hurt. Plus, the metroplex has antibiotic properties which will help with all of those bite marks [emoji37]

I would maybe throw in an extra airline for good measure if you haven't already. Using multiple medications can really suck the O2 out of the water.
Good call on the airline. I'll see what I can do. I'm worried because he was eating like a horse last night before I started meds but now he is not at all. Is that normal?

Also struggling with ammonia. I will just keep having to do water changes and trying to balance the copper level, right? Copper level is at 1 ppm now. But ammonia is at .5. The metro is in and dosed every 2 days - so I guess I would be ok until tomorrow to do a water change?
Feeling discouraged. The poor guy.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do water changes, just dose the copper and metro to the new water before adding it to the QT. Appetite suppression is definitely a side effect of the meds, but it also could be that his condition is declining :/

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do water changes, just dose the copper and metro to the new water before adding it to the QT. Appetite suppression is definitely a side effect of the meds, but it also could be that his condition is declining :/

+1

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see bite marks - what are you referring to? Trying to learn from this as I go as well! :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith - do you think a freshwater dip would help, or do you think his condition is too fragile?

I'm not sure since I can't observe him in person, but it could help buy him some time for the copper to help. It's a coin flip right now.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure since I can't observe him in person, but it could help buy him some time for the copper to help. It's a coin flip right now.
I think it might stress him out too much. I'll do a water change tonight. I have mixed and medicated water hearing for a bit. Not eating but hanging in his tube coming to say hi every now and again.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor fella, I hope it comes through! Good choice. Keep us posted!
Thank you! I feel so bad for him! I don't know why I put myself through this stress. Haha. My husband says "you purposely brought a diseased fish into the house??" Lol. I'll be crushed if he doesn't make it. But at least I know I tried.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I feel so bad for him! I don't know why I put myself through this stress. Haha. My husband says "you purposely brought a diseased fish into the house??" Lol. I'll be crushed if he doesn't make it. But at least I know I tried.
You have a great heart. We (and this fish) love you for it!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would do another FW dip + acriflavine bath. It may (or may not) kill him, but I don't think he's gonna make it any other way. o_O

From our first conversation I went straight to cooper and didn't do FW dip. I've never done one and it scared me.
I would do the FW dip tonight. I do not have the medication yet. I will order it to have in hand but I'm not sure he has time for it to come.
I also do not have the air stone - but I have an extra little 20 gallon powerhead I could put in the bucket. Would that work for the 30 minute aeration?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From our first conversation I went straight to cooper and didn't do FW dip. I've never done one and it scared me.
I would do the FW dip tonight. I do not have the medication yet. I will order it to have in hand but I'm not sure he has time for it to come.
I also do not have the air stone - but I have an extra little 20 gallon powerhead I could put in the bucket. Would that work for the 30 minute aeration?
Yes the powerhead is fine, make sure it doesn't make the water too turbulent :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A powerhead is maybe overkill in a bucket, but it should work in a pinch. Just point it as much at the surface as possible. Just to be clear, the fish should be in the freshwater no longer than 5 minutes. The downside to using a bucket it that it will be hard to monitor him during the dip, a clear container works a little better.

You can still do the freshwater without the chemical bath, but you run a greater risk of secondary infection. When fish are heavily infested like that, they have tons of little insertion points where the parasites attach that can become infected. Keeping pristine water and using an antibiotic like kanaplex in the QT might help. Kanaplex can be used with metroplex.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A powerhead is overkill in a bucket, but it should work in a pinch. Just point it as much at the surface as possible. Just to be clear, the fish should be in the freshwater no longer than 5 minutes. The downside to using a bucket it that it will be hard to monitor him during the dip, a clear container works a little better.

You can still do the freshwater without the chemical bath, but you run a greater risk of secondary infection. When fish are heavily infested like that, they have tons of little insertion points where the parasites attach that can become infected. Keeping pristine water and using an antibiotic like kanaplex in the QT might help. Kanaplex can be used with metroplex.

Kanaplex with the copper too?
From @Humblefish explanation you stop the powerhead before the fish goes in. So it's just to aerate the water a head of time.

Ok to take him out of copper, into FW dip and back into copper?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back