Dogface puffer rescue??

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex with the copper too?
From @Humblefish explanation you stop the powerhead before the fish goes in. So it's just to aerate the water a head of time.

Ok to take him out of copper, into FW dip and back into copper?

Yes, kanaplex is OK with copper. Yes, for a 5-minute fw dip it's fine to pull the powerhead after aerating. If you were doing the chemical bath which is 60-90 minutes I would continue aeration during.

And yes to the last one as well. If he doesn't survive the dip there is a good chance he wouldn't have made it regardless.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, kanaplex is OK with copper. Yes, for a 5-minute fw dip it's fine to pull the powerhead after aerating. If you were doing the chemical bath which is 60-90 minutes I would continue aeration during.

And yes to the last one as well. If he doesn't survive the dip there is a good chance he wouldn't have made it regardless.

Late night session - already had a bucket of RODI for my ATO. It's heating and aerating now. Went ahead and ordered the medication to add for the chemical bath just for if he makes it or for the future. Each experience I have learned from and upped my arsenal of disease fighting drugs in my cabinet.
Did a water change for the ammonia in the QT - medicated the mixed bucket ahead with copper and metro. Kanaplex added to QT as well. I'll do the FW dip here in about 30 minutes.
Just scoop him out of QT, into the bucket, then scoop back into QT after 5 minutes unless he shows major distress before the 5 minutes. Correct?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just scoop him out of QT, into the bucket, then scoop back into QT after 5 minutes unless he shows major distress before the 5 minutes. Correct?

Correct. Just make sure temp matches between FW dip & QT.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is at least out and about this evening with just me in the room . . . swimming up against anything he can find for relief. I was going to wait until morning to dip him so I can go to bed, but I don't know if he will survive until then, and I can tell he is miserable. Hopefully this will help him out at least a little.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right here with you, letting my rally bath aerate and get to temp...I have a wrasse with a nasty bacterial infection :/

Good luck, I'm rooting for him!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to the both of you! Unfortunately, I have to head to bed soon or my wife is gonna kill me. :p
Same here - FWD done - He acted fine during, but not so great back in QT. Could be just weak from the dip, but morning will tell!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here - FWD done - He acted fine during, but not so great back in QT. Could be just weak from the dip, but morning will tell!

They are sometimes a little disoriented after, hopefully he will come around. If not, you did your best and should be proud regardless.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her mom calling her bought me 10 more minutes. :p
The phone call but you more time, but not me. Lol.

Well, his breathing has slowed a little bit, but I cannot believe he made it through the night! I am really completely shocked. He's not happy, and he isn't well, but he's alive. It is 6:30 AM, and I am headed to the store to get an air stone. I don't have any, but knowing that the medications can take the O2 out of the water, I want to give him every possibility I can.
I am going to add some copper this morning, and by this afternoon he should be at therapeutic levels. I will start treatment for the Cardinals today too.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phone call but you more time, but not me. Lol.

Well, his breathing has slowed a little bit, but I cannot believe he made it through the night! I am really completely shocked. He's not happy, and he isn't well, but he's alive. It is 6:30 AM, and I am headed to the store to get an air stone. I don't have any, but knowing that the medications can take the O2 out of the water, I want to give him every possibility I can.
I am going to add some copper this morning, and by this afternoon he should be at therapeutic levels. I will start treatment for the Cardinals today too.
Fingers crossed! Prayers!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 You're doing all you can to save him, and a fighting chance is the best most of us can hope for in this life. :)

In the meantime, I called the local Petco and the animal manager there. She wanted me to update her on how to fish was doing. I gave her an update and let her know that all of the fish in her system have now been exposed and she needs to treat them and shut down the system. I figured this would fall on deaf ears. Now, I'm pretty sure she cannot treat the fish like she is supposed to, which sucks. Luckily they did not have too many of them. Part of me wants to go back and get some of them and bring them back and treat them along with my Cardinals. With this be a stupid move? She looked and saw Ich developing on some of the others. She agreed to shut down her saltwater system. I explained to her the 76 day follow. And that she may need to go longer With as large of a system as she has. They only have six saltwater tanks, and I told her the shrimp and rocks would be OK. As well as their corals. She said she would be working to get it shut down by the end of the week. I consider this to be a huge win!

She had a couple of beautiful clowns in there, would I be able to put a couple of them in with my Cardinals to treat and a 10 gallon quarantine tank?

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I'm wrong, but I highly doubt the corporate side of this will allow her to stop selling saltwater fish for 76+ days.

Probably not! I just got off the phone with her again. She said her boss was extremely mad at her for giving away a $50 fish. How does that even make any sense? If he was sick and just going to die, why would you be mad that he was out of your tank. I just can't believe it. This ticks me off. She said he will get over it but she will always do what is best for the animal. At least she has some sense. I'm just mad because she was looking up there store protocol for salt water it, and it was hypo salinity plus high temperature. I told her this may work in the long run, but not for any of the fish that she currently has and it certainly will not work for severe cases. Apparently she has a couple of tomato clowns that are showing bad signs of it now.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back