Dogface puffer rescue??

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to see this update! And, all your guys' kiddos are adorable. I have a few myself. Here's my littlest :)
f496846e35dfde6ade565bbd53b20e49.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8027.JPG

My two are on the right. 2.5 (Jonah) and 3.5 (Noah). 12 months and 20 days apart...they are our monsters!!! Lol. The two on the left are my nephews. All 4 boys are less than 3 years apart!!!
Your kids are adorable!!!
Your kids are adorable as well! 4 boys? Bless your heart when they're all together. Two boys I couldn't imagine. I swear my son's mission in life is to try to kill and inure himself at every juncture, so different from my daughter.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to see this update! And, all your guys' kiddos are adorable. I have a few myself. Here's my littlest :)
f496846e35dfde6ade565bbd53b20e49.jpg
Dawwww! Look at that face!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at how white his beak is!!! I'm going to pick up some shell on shrimp at the store tomorrow for him! He's eating really well!!! I can barely get a picture of him now because he swimming all over the place!

So, I have been posting about the saga on Facebook. I have a bunch of friends following this like crazy. LOL I mentioned tonight that I cannot keep him, and they told me I have to. I tried to explain that it costs a lot of money to set up a brand-new system. Now they want me to set up a go fund me account so that people can donate to me being able to set up a system and keep him! Hahahhaha.
One of my first fish in my tank was a blue jaw trigger, and I have always wanted a trigger/ FOWLER tank.
Soooo... not that it is going to happen, but any advice on how big of a tank a dog face puffer needs? Just collecting information! LOL

IMG_8765.JPG

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at how white his beak is!!! I'm going to pick up some shell on shrimp at the store tomorrow for him! He's eating really well!!! I can barely get a picture of him now because he swimming all over the place!

So, I have been posting about the saga on Facebook. I have a bunch of friends following this like crazy. LOL I mentioned tonight that I cannot keep him, and they told me I have to. I tried to explain that it costs a lot of money to set up a brand-new system. Now they want me to set up a go fund me account so that people can donate to me being able to set up a system and keep him! Hahahhaha.
One of my first fish in my tank was a blue jaw trigger, and I have always wanted a trigger/ FOWLER tank.
Soooo... not that it is going to happen, but any advice on how big of a tank a dog face puffer needs? Just collecting information! LOL

IMG_8765.JPG
A dogface could probably be kept in a tank as small as 75 gallons for some time -- but a 180 or larger is probably needed down the road long-term. Dogface don't tend to grow that quickly.

You can buy a setup on Craigslist already set up. The cool thing about 75 gallon tanks is that they're eligible for the various $1/gallon sales -- I would recommend not using used glass when buying a full setup, but that's because I flooded a brand new house and almost burned the same brand new house to the ground 4 months before that when it was 3 months old all due to leaks and used glass. Lol

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Go back to Petco and ask for some of those little FW glass snails they just throw away. Your puffer will love them and it will help trim his beak.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffy is doing great! I am trying to give him small feedings, but he wasn't hungry this morning. Which, of course, always worries me. I will be stopping today to see if I can get some of the snails for him. He seems to be doing well other than that. His skin is already clearing up a lot!!
@melypr1985 - you mentioned therapeutic levels for 10 days then transferring to a new tank. With as bad as his case was, do you still think this is the best option? Same question for the Cardinal. She will be at therapeutic levels probably tomorrow. 10 days then fresh? Or 30 days for her? Also, if transfer after 10 days, am I adding copper to the new tank or just observation for a few weeks and continue kanaplex? Seriously, I am not sure he would have survived without all of you helping me, so THANK YOU! ALL of you.
My husband has actually agreed that if I find a tank that won't cost a ton of money that I can set up a FOWLR tank. HAHAHA. I never would have imagined he would agree. I would buy new glass, but need to find all of the other equipment at a pretty large discount. I will look, and if I can't find it at a VERY low price (I am in a job transition and have 1.5 months this summer with no income) I will find him a great home :)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily the sale has been changed actually, it's now 50% off 40g and up rather than $1.
Ugh. I'm not sure it's going to matter. I have a friend that has a 75g tank, top, light and stand...brand NEW that would sell it to me for $200. And his brother would drill it. I already have extra power heads and plenty of filter socks. Would need return pump, dump tank, skimmer and that's it....hubby is NOT on board with another tank. :(:mad:

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I'm not sure it's going to matter. I have a friend that has a 75g tank, top, light and stand...brand NEW that would sell it to me for $200. And his brother would drill it. I already have extra power heads and plenty of filter socks. Would need return pump, dump tank, skimmer and that's it....hubby is NOT on board with another tank. :(:mad:
Sump tank that is.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANNND - tonight he isn't eating. I was trying to give a few small feedings, tried this morning with krill, nothing. Then tried to give him some of the mysis/rods mix tonight, nothing. @Humblefish @melypr1985 he is LOOKING awesome, but very lethargic today. Any ideas?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a side effect of the medicine or maybe a little copper-sensitivity. I wouldn't worry quite yet, I'd just keep offering when you can.

My regal angel that I'm treating gets like this. Today, he chowded down on a clam and was chasing flakes. Tomorrow he might pick at something or nothing at all. I feel like when it gets hungry enough it eats.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a side effect of the medicine or maybe a little copper-sensitivity. I wouldn't worry quite yet, I'd just keep offering when you can.

My regal angel that I'm treating gets like this. Today, he chowded down on a clam and was chasing flakes. Tomorrow he might pick at something or nothing at all. I feel like when it gets hungry enough it eats.
X2 stay on board and keep stress minimal, hopefully it eats in a few days :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 - you mentioned therapeutic levels for 10 days then transferring to a new tank. With as bad as his case was, do you still think this is the best option? Same question for the Cardinal. She will be at therapeutic levels probably tomorrow. 10 days then fresh? Or 30 days for her? Also, if transfer after 10 days, am I adding copper to the new tank or just observation for a few weeks and continue kanaplex? Seriously, I am not sure he would have survived without all of you helping me, so THANK YOU! ALL of you.
My husband has actually agreed that if I find a tank that won't cost a ton of money that I can set up a FOWLR tank. HAHAHA. I never would have imagined he would agree. I would buy new glass, but need to find all of the other equipment at a pretty large discount. I will look, and if I can't find it at a VERY low price (I am in a job transition and have 1.5 months this summer with no income) I will find him a great home :)

Yes. I still think that would be best if you can manage it. Transfer them both to a new, non-medicated tank and continue antibiotics. Observe them carefully for an additional two weeks to be sure they are clear of any infections and parasites.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I still think that would be best if you can manage it. Transfer them both to a new, non-medicated tank and continue antibiotics. Observe them carefully for an additional two weeks to be sure they are clear of any infections and parasites.
@melypr1985 @Humblefish - Ok - Cardinal has been at Therapeutic for 2 days. Puffer for 4 days. Is it ok to put them together in a 20 gallon QT after they are done?
Also - the Kanaplex says on the bottle to treat every other day for 2 weeks, but a maximum of 3 doses . . . seems confusing. do I continue to dose every other day for the full 2 weeks, or stop now that I have done 3 doses over 6 days?

Good news - @ngoodermuth and @4FordFamily you were right. He was super lethargic for 2 days, didn't eat and then ate like a horse last night! He ate 3 pieces of krill with NO leftovers. :) He is looking really good. I think he needs the days that my family and I are not home with the lights out for rest - seems crazy, but it was this weekend when we were in and out all day and my crazy children were home that he didn't eat well!

Still trying to find him a home. Hard to find someone with a set up for a puffer . . . that being said - I don't have too many corals in my tank . . . I have 2 clowns, sailfin, foxface, scooter and flame hawk . . . besides eating my snails and crabs how much damage could he really do? o_O

Hubby will NOT let me spend money on another tank right now. :( I don't know that I could rescue any more fish - I get too attached. LOL

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back