Dogface puffer rescue??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - the Kanaplex says on the bottle to treat every other day for 2 weeks, but a maximum of 3 doses . . . seems confusing. do I continue to dose every other day for the full 2 weeks, or stop now that I have done 3 doses over 6 days?

As humble said: Keep going for the full ten days. :)

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop
If you decide to keep him I will donate two Eheim Jagger 150w that I have used all of a week to the cause. I have a pump you maybe could use for a return pump that is brand new never out of the box I was going to send back to BRS seeing I ditched my mixing station due to space issues in the laundry room.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/quiet-one-pro-4000-1022-gph-lifegard.html

I cannot stand to see you part with him seeing all the work you put in.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop
If you decide to keep him I will donate two Eheim Jagger 150w that I have used all of a week to the cause. I have a pump you maybe could use for a return pump that is brand new never out of the box I was going to send back to BRS seeing I ditched my mixing station due to space issues in the laundry room.

Wow that's so generous!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop

Oh my goodness! You are so generous and so sweet! I appreciate that so very much! I will keep you posted! We also have a situation where we may be moving this summer, but we have to wait and see if my husband gets a new job or not. So, I may be collecting pieces to put a tank together for him, but trying to find him a foster home until then. He will move to my 20 gallon QT when the 10 days is up, which will be a little more comfortable. So, hopefully in the next 6 weeks before he is done in QT we will know what is going on.
I feel like the smart decision would be to not set up a second tank, but I have always been in love with the blue jaw trigger, and think it would be amazing to have a "predator tank" in my husband's man cave! :) Maybe that will make him more apt to having one! :)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Puffy (as my 3 year old has been calling him) - side note - the fish are in the laundry room for QT - he says good morning and hello every day as we leave and come home! :) HAHA!
Anyway - Puffy ate really well tonight. And I had my husband stop and get him some fresh water snails to munch on too. Hopefully he will get those for his beak to trim down. He looks almost completely clear of ich and his fins are CRYSTAL CLEAR!! (Almost positive there was velvet as well!)
Dosed another round of Kanaplex tonight! Ammonia in both tanks seem to finally be stabilizing. Hopefully I will not have to do water changes every other day now! :)
I look back at his first pics and really really didn't think he had a chance. I am so excited he is doing well. :)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8912.JPG

He doesn't even look like the same fish!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop I wouldn't house them together, as the Cardinal might become a meal for the Puffer. :eek:

Continue to dose Kanaplex, every other day, for at least 10 days.
HAHAHA - well, all of this work would kind of suck if one ended up a meal for the other! :) I think I will do my best to avoid that situation! o_O

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic job here!! It's really awesome to see this.
Thanks. Only because of the help of @Humblefish and @melypr1985 and I believe it was @4FordFamily who had the suggestion to do that freshwater dip the second night he was here. I think that was the relief he needed to make it through! Without you all I would be lost!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Only because of the help of @Humblefish and @melypr1985 and I believe it was @4FordFamily who had the suggestion to do that freshwater dip the second night he was here. I think that was the relief he needed to make it through! Without you all I would be lost!
It was your work, we thank YOU :)

ezell_tonya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this entire thread. I was reading before bedtime and I had to keep going until I found out Puffy was doing well. Awesome job and congrats to all involved!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Now I'm concerned again: he was hungry this morning so I fed him. I'm not sure if I just haven't noticed for a couple of days because of lighting or what, but he appears to have those little white pimples all over his stomach area again...double checked copper and its still at 2 ppm. No way the ich could have come back that quick and cover him, right? Especially not in copper?
His belly looks kind of like the before pic - but not all the way up his sides. Remnants? Or new? What next? I have left the house. My 2 year old has surgery to get tubes put in his ears today. But we will be home later and I can do something while he is napping. My husband will be home to help.
@Humblefish @4FordFamily @melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i would wait and see if those spots are still there when you get home. I'm not entirely sure those are ich or velvet.... possibly something to do with stress.... almost like goose pimples if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i would wait and see if those spots are still there when you get home. I'm not entirely sure those are ich or velvet.... possibly something to do with stress.... almost like goose pimples if that makes sense.
Ok! That's what I was wondering. I'll see what he looks like when I get home then!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - some very cool news: keep your fingers crossed. My husbands uncle has worked with Jack Hannah to catch fish for the Columbus Zoo and aquarium and he dives for them to feed. I called him today and asked if they might be interested. I mean, what better place for a puffer than a miniature ocean!?!?
I am sending the info and pictures and uncle Bill is going to send over to the curator for the aquarium and the curator for the zoo! How cool would that be?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 A puffer's underside will oftentimes look "ruffled".

ezell_tonya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - some very cool news: keep your fingers crossed. My husbands uncle has worked with Jack Hannah to catch fish for the Columbus Zoo and aquarium and he dives for them to feed. I called him today and asked if they might be interested. I mean, what better place for a puffer than a miniature ocean!?!?
I am sending the info and pictures and uncle Bill is going to send over to the curator for the aquarium and the curator for the zoo! How cool would that be?

I live in Columbus! I may get the chance to see puffy in person?!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back