Dogface puffer

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We brought this guy home on Sunday. His mouth had a strange bit missing that looked almost like someone tried to clip is teeth and missed. Since then it has been receding, showing more and more tooth and maybe jawbone.
He was very active when I first put him in, chasing everyone and establishing dominance, but last night and all today he’s just sitting between some rocks on the floor of the tank.
I also noticed a strange dark spot when we got him, but thought that might just be his coloration. The spot seems to be sticking out now, like a lump, tho.
He did eat when we put him in, but he isn’t looking very good right now. Breathing is a bit shallow and not moving at all.

OP
OP
Mathew0

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some decent pics

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 49

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here are some decent pics
Looks like either an impact injury or injury from netting. Normally, I recommend to watch it for healing and not becoming infected but this damage is beyond normal and I would recommend treating with either ruby rally Pro - in tank or more effective in Quarantine using seachem Neoplex or Kanaplex

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the history of this fish before you got it? From a pet store or a person’s house? How long has it been in captivity?

Looks like it has some serious damage to its upper jaw. Any idea how that could have happened? Could it have gotten banged up during the transfer?

Jay

OP
OP
Mathew0

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really sure what its history is. We got him from the same fish store we’ve gotten all our other fish from. They ordered him special for me. He was put thru their qt process with copper and whatever else. He said they put the puffers thru the same qt process as their wrasses

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really sure what its history is. We got him from the same fish store we’ve gotten all our other fish from. They ordered him special for me. He was put thru their qt process with copper and whatever else. He said they put the puffers thru the same qt process as their wrasses

Can you post a video? I want to see its breathing rate.

Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay

OP
OP
Mathew0

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I’ve moved him into qt and got a treatment for bacterial infection called API Melafix that contains

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 39

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I’ve moved him into qt and got a treatment for bacterial infection called API Melafix that contains

Sorry - I was offline for a couple of hours.

In the video I can see the mouth damage, but also erosion at the end of the pectoral fins, plus scrapes on the body. It also has a bulge in its body where it may have ingested air. For me, this all points to the fish having been severely damaged - probably when it was caught up.
Melafix is just a tonic, not a true antibiotic - do you have access to anything better like neomycin, kanamycin or even Maracyn 2?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the puffer stopped breathing about 30 mins ago. I do enormously, appreciate the help. I only wish I knew what these things looked like before I brought him home.

So sorry to hear!

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back