Doing a tank reset: How do you renew your tank?

How do you renew your tank? (select all that apply)

• Remove everything and completely start over.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Massive water change.

• Remove sand.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Replace or refresh aquascape.

• Add chemicals.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing a tank reset: How do you renew your tank?

After a few years many reef keepers choose to reset their tanks. There are many reasons from a tank crash to wanting to redo the aquascape as well as many other reasons. This may include draining the tank and completely starting over, a massive water change, removing sand, replacing or refreshing the aquascape, and more. Whether you are freshening up or doing a complete reset on your tank, what do you do to renew your aquarium? Please let us know if you have tips to share or would like to tell us about your experience with a tank reset!

Wesley_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @W.vreeswijk

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service."

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in the post reset the aquascape but never a full reset.
I would just do a water change if redoing the scape again. You would most likely pull a bunch of nasties moving old rock around.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't let nuisance things like algae, dinos, or cyano discourage me from owning a reef tank. I address the problems one at a time, while understanding it may take months to turn things around. I understand the frustration and desire by others for a quick fix, but that is not my approach. However, I have gotten bored with a tank, and removed and added different livestock over the years to help keep things interesting to me.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I redo usually because im bored with scape in past. Previous was due to move, followed by not liking scape and crowded followed by things going on I wasnt to care properly for. Usually just a complete scrub of everything and reset.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip clean to take out crazy algae’s. Remove all including water directly into brute. Peroxide clean and scrape the entire tank, it s BB to begin with. Rinse well with paper towels and water. Put it all back in, corals looked amazing, fish were happy, snails were fine, starfish good. I added 3 bottles of tisbe within two days. Worked for me.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip clean to take out crazy algae’s. Remove all including water directly into brute. Peroxide clean and scrape the entire tank, it s BB to begin with. Rinse well with paper towels and water. Put it all back in, corals looked amazing, fish were happy, snails were fine, starfish good. I added 3 bottles of tisbe within two days. Worked for me.
Sounds like my weekly water changes when I go bare bottom minus the Peroxide lol.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a pico, I can see the similarity.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a reset about a year into my tank due to a huge bubble algae infestation. Pulled all of the rock and cleaned with peroxide. At that point, redid the aquascape as I never really liked what I had originally - brought my LFS in for the redesign. Much happier now.

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 187 peninsula that was rimless. I rebooted because of a bad Majano infestation and to install a new sump with roller mat (Trigger Platinum 39). I did a complete tear down, sold some of the livestock to my LFS and kept the remainder in a 55 I previously used for QT. With the 187 empty and clean, I added eurobracing to the long sides and installed ABS armoring to all the silicone joints. I used all new dry Marco rock and did a semi-NSA with bare bottom. Also ran plumbing from the garage where the mixing station is for auto water changes, AFR and ATO (with ATO for the ATO). I'm now going through a new ugly phase and starting to slowing transfer livestock from the 55. My maintenance is much reduced and I'm glad I went this route.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back