Don’t buy eshopps skimmers

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start off by saying I was a very big fan of the eshopps.... from day one I started this company and recommended to customers or friends......

And I don’t know what happened but customer service and product starting to fail little by little

First was the magnet probe holder...... I called the company and will send a new one after mine was full of rust.......

Then to Doser heads failed after four months of use!!!!!
Contact them again they send me new heads......

After that I noticed that the E shops 5.0 supplement box holder failed!!!! Putting my magnesium into my sodium so I was double dosing without even noticing....... I called and then after a few weeks they replaced it........ smfh ........

This all happened within a month apart of each other....... never have I ever have a problem with this company and all of a sudden everything went to [emoji90].....

Then one of the worst days I’ve ever had happened....... woke up in the morning looked at the tank and went on my way to work .......came back from work and decided to change and go get a car wash.......

My car was being dried and I get an alert from my nest smoke detectors saying there was smoke in the living room...... A few seconds later I get aanother alert saying there’s smoke in my Kitchen !!!

I look at my nest cameras and see smoke in my living room so I get in my car and raced home luckily my car wash was a quarter-mile away down my street......
As soon as I entered my apartment you can smell electrical fire I immediately went to my tank and looked at the wires and I did not see anything on usual then I searched all the outlets looking to see if I can find the source of the smell and I didn’t find anything!!. At this point the power went off ... I open all my windows and started to check all the outlets..... but nothing !!

After looking everywhere I glanced inside my tank and noticed all my fish are belly up and the water was milky........ I thought to myself oh no I immediately tried to save all the fish nonetheless it was a lost cause.....

I open up the stand doors and a lot of smoke came out of the stand .... so the problem was something inside the sump so I started take out everything one buy one smelling and inspecting everything... 1st I started with the heater ... I have heard horror stories about heater is exploding.... but no the heater was fine then I took out the return pump each take I took something out my hand was covered with black plastic.... the return pump was fine... then I took out the skimmer .. all inside the skimmmer was all black ... the skimmer was on trying to pick up the melted plastic it was in the skimmer cup ... the I look at the pump and it was fine ... The part that the wire goes into the pump was fine.... I was so confused there was nothing else inside my sump that can cause a fire ..... but something told me to check the skimmer because it was full of black melted stuff and it smelled bad like electrical fire.... I took the pump off the skimmer and nothing !! Then I screw off the neck of the skimmer pump and there it was !!!!!!! ... The pump malfunction and started electrical fire underneath water the pump kept running like that for a good 10 to 15+ minutes before the search protector went off and electricity stopped...... it killed everything!! All my coral all my fish .....

I couldn’t believe I invested so much money into this aquarium and it was all taken away for me.....

After I threw everything out in a couple of days pass by I called eshopps spoke to sandy warranty supervisor.... and there wwarranty supervisor advise me right away that they’re not responsible for anything and that if I send them pictures of everything that they can replace my skimmer pump!!

Really big replace my skimmer pump after everything that I have and work so hard for was gone....... I kept my composure and was very respect full...

I told sandy that the pump malfunction and kept running while I was on fire and she said once again that they’re not responsible for anything had no sympathy at all and told me that they could replace the pump if it was still on the warranty .......

So I sent over the pictures of everything and of the skimmer that malfunction..... two weeks pass by or more and did not receive any phone call or email back every time I try to call they would not answer they would not answer any emails either

So I finally called another extension and had me transfer to the warranty department and guess who answered Sandy......

I said hi Sandy it’s me I send over pictures and all the information you requested on the pump that malfunction and she said oh yes I did receive them I have not got a chance to contact you back and I said that’s fine and once again she said all the best I can do for you and send you a new pump I advised her that the skimmer was far beyond needing a new pump and I did not have a tank to put a skimmer and anyway and she replied as follows” so what the heck do you want me to do then ...”

I stood on the phone dumbfounded..... I replied to her that I needed to speak to a supervisor and she said that she was the supervisor and that would be the only person that I can speak to.....

I told her that I spent a lot of money with the company and would like to be talk to with respect and she replied she’s good she’s only going to do what she said and send me a new pump that she cannot do anymore and that they’re not responsible for anything.....

I told her that every time that I got on the phone with her I felt like I was annoying her and now she’s being a suspenseful and she replied that they’re not responsible for anything and she told me 1 million times already.... .

Talk about customer service..... I told her that I was gone no longer going to use any and of products and I was not going to recommend it to anyone and I was going to make a post about on the forum and she said go ahead she didn’t care

I also forgot to mention that she said that my skimmer wasn’t the latest model so I told her since I don’t have the latest model that means that my skimmer could catch on fire at any time and she said no but that I did not have the current the current model ......what kind explanation and customer service is that!!!

I would like to let all my fellow reefers know so be careful with their products they’re bound to fail that’s why every new skimmer now has a sticker that says they’re not responsible for anything because they have a lot of failures if you look on the net you’ll find a lot of other horror stories..... here is pictures of the skimmer.....
a93d71746f1eaf3276d864ca0a6cd7f3.heic
3a4c5a44c215db2a834687f27e4a3ceb.heic
d81abd2b68b49367fc36940fc57b1685.heic

05e43690a2cbfa16f56ca5235d9a8ec4.heic

c8df01c4c11b350be1c0b9fa48d398ef.heic
f0134d2ee8337a839c2b6a680691e303.png

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I forget I receive the email from Sandy stating that they could send me a brand new skimmer but in but Also stating that that they will not give me the newest skimmer out....... smfh .... after I ready told them and show them pictures of everything in my tank died including fish they offer me a skimmer as compensation for losing everything..... and made it a point to tell me that they are not giving me the latest model...... I told them that they can keep their skimmer and I was going to make a post on every form possible to discourage people from buying their products they replied I’m sorry you feel that way.....

If you already own a few eshoops products doublecheck and triple check everything their products are not made to last...... I don’t want something like what happened to me happened to somebody else......

And if you have something wrong with your product contact them immediately you will be greeted by Sandy ........ all I have to say about her is.....good luck

With customer service like that I’m surprised they’re still in business.......

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a bunch of *****. Good on you for exposing them. It’s all about money nowadays, no respect for the person who’s spending in the first place. By the way sorry for you loss, hope you can start over again and not give in because of their crappy equipment. Personally never heard of them. My advice would be take ur time and spend on quality stuff. All the best

Clownman727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pumps on the skimmers are sicce I believe. Those are good pumps. Surprising this happened. I wonder if the wire was cut by accident? How long did you say the skimmer was in use?

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pumps on the skimmers are sicce I believe. Those are good pumps. Surprising this happened. I wonder if the wire was cut by accident? How long did you say the skimmer was in use?

2+ years ..... but the thing about it is that if the pump malfunction it should stop working not running keep on going while on fire !!!

It’s amazing to me of the lack of respect I received from Sandy.....

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a bunch of *****. Good on you for exposing them. It’s all about money nowadays, no respect for the person who’s spending in the first place. By the way sorry for you loss, hope you can start over again and not give in because of their crappy equipment. Personally never heard of them. My advice would be take ur time and spend on quality stuff. All the best

There’s supposed to be one of the best I’ll surprise you never heard of them but after this I hope you don’t seek anything they sell

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. This is grim reminder that this hobby has its pitfalls. Years of work and money invested and a tank can still be destroyed in just a matter of minutes. Again sorry for your loss.

Would having the outlet on a GFCI breaker of helped? Seems like the surge suppressed didn't do its job ether.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The search protector did his job but the pump kept working so I didn’t see that there was anything going on in so I guess it really caught on fire and the serge protector went off .......
after all this travesty getting hit with a low blow from the eshoops hurt more than the loss of everything else

You pay top dollar so stuff like this doesn’t happen they pride themselves on saying they’re built quality stuff made in America

But when the time comes they don’t stand behind their product.......

I hope this the truth is people from buying their products in something like this happens to them

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever even clean or inspect it? That pump looks like it’s been severely neglected to me.

I’m glad you said that yes I did I took out inspected and clean all my equipment..... I also forgot to mention they send me this pump as a replacement because my first pump new out the box only lasted 3 to 4 months

I have a lot of barnacles in my sump so after a month or two my equipment looks like this...... that’s why I have to stay on top of my equipment

But as you can see from the pictures of the pump it caught on fire from the inside so it was a manufacturer defect that has nothing to do with how the pump on the outside looks...

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you said that yes I did I took out inspected and clean all my equipment..... I also forgot to mention they send me this pump as a replacement because my first pump new out the box only lasted 3 to 4 months

I have a lot of barnacles in my sump so after a month or two my equipment looks like this...... that’s why I have to stay on top of my equipment

But as you can see from the pictures of the pump it caught on fire from the inside so it was a manufacturer defect that has nothing to do with how the pump on the outside looks...

I think your pictures speak for themselves the skimmer and pump look neglected and technically your complaints should be directed at the pump manufacturer sicce who generally produce a very high quality product.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump I’m inside is perfectly fine I have pictures to prove it just outside has barnacles on it like I stated before.... as for the skimmer it is dirty because of the fact that melted plastic was inside the chamber the whole entire time it was catching on fire.......

If they sent me a replacement pump and is still catches on fire I’m going to blame the person who sent it to me......

Needless to say that your comments of my skimmer being the neglected or invalid..... barnacles on the outside of a sealed pump should have no effect on the internals....... you should do some research before answering....

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my eshopp skimmer. I did not like it at all... Im also selling my doser by them.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wanted to do the same thing but I didn’t want to get no backlash from the buyer that I sold him pieces of [emoji90]...... or have something happened to their house

I forgot to mention that I have two dogs that could’ve died of smoke inhalation if I didn’t have my nest cameras and smoke detectors.....

And I told that to Sandy the warrantee supervisor and she said once again that they were not liable for anything even death.

They couldn’t offer me another pump for my skimmer‍♂️

Needless to say I was getting nowhere fast..... they don’t care About their customers all they care about is money

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry for your loss. I don't think i will be buying either brand (Eshopps or Sicce)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your pictures speak for themselves the skimmer and pump look neglected and technically your complaints should be directed at the pump manufacturer sicce who generally produce a very high quality product.
Honestly that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw those pics. That does not hapen in one to two months. Those organisms don't grow that fast. Even as rare as it is, the pump on the OP's skimmer failed. I'm pretty sure those are off the shelf Sicce sskimmer pumps so the OP may try to contact Sicce as I hear they have a great warranty.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are going to offer me a new pump .... I don’t need a new pump for the skimmer ... if anything they should of offer me a refund in the skimmer or something along them lines ... but I received nothing but disrespectful BS .... it is what it is .... I’m here to prevent anything from happening to someone’s tank

Lb71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wanted to do the same thing but I didn’t want to get no backlash from the buyer that I sold him pieces of [emoji90]...... or have something happened to their house

I forgot to mention that I have two dogs that could’ve died of smoke inhalation if I didn’t have my nest cameras and smoke detectors.....

And I told that to Sandy the warrantee supervisor and she said once again that they were not liable for anything even death.

They couldn’t offer me another pump for my skimmer‍♂️

Needless to say I was getting nowhere fast..... they don’t care About their customers all they care about is money

I’m confused, you said you screwed off the neck of the skimmer pump and there was the malfunction ? What did you observe? Also did you have a GFCI breaker or protect the outlets with GFCI outlets. A GFCI should of protected your tank.
Are you saying that the skimmer continued to work and allow toxins from the fire to poison the tank. I just don’t understand what events actually occurred to cause your problems.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the pump has a neck that you can screw off ..... like most pumps ... when I unscrewed the neck there was a hole inside the pump ... (as you can see from the pictures)

everything is on a surge protector...... But when the pump malfunctioned and kept on working and burned a hole inside the pump and it was sparking underwater releasing smoke and burnt material into my tank and in the air....

After a few minutes the surge protector kicked in and turned off the power

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused, you said you screwed off the neck of the skimmer pump and there was the malfunction ? What did you observe? Also did you have a GFCI breaker or protect the outlets with GFCI outlets. A GFCI should of protected your tank.
Are you saying that the skimmer continued to work and allow toxins from the fire to poison the tank. I just don’t understand what events actually occurred to cause your problems.

d1c21390949545323f4f459c5f75f3bc.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back