Donate an All in one aquarium for HS Bio class

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say any teacher who can get this in their classroom should do what ever it takes. I have already in 4 months of reefing in my classroom had one student ask his parents for a tank at home as a graduation gift. He texted me excited to have a tank to share with his parents. To me that's life long learning and a bit of family therapy. This kid has had strained relationship with his parents for a couple years and now the three of them have a common hobby to enjoy and fellowship around.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now if we could only find a Florida Coral sponser...hmmm.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please post pics and a wish list for your tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did my homework. A large percentage of your students would be considered "at risk", aren't they?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Katrina71 I have been doing a clean up and have a orbit system for a 36" will that work for them?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey @Katrina71 I have been doing a clean up and have a orbit system for a 36" will that work for them?
I think they are getting a biocube. I can hook them up with nice extras there. If they get a big tank...I'm sure. Trying to find them Coral, rock, and sand.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to find them Coral, rock, and sand.
I may know a guy

20180818_192929.jpg

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. The biocube is pretty self-contained from what I've read and seen so I can't imagine I would need much more for that tank but I did put out other emails before getting word back from Coralife so it's possible another tank might come in.

This is the wishlist just for the biocube. I plan on moving really slow with the tank build to highlight each stage so it may be a little while before I start adding livestock. Plus I have 5 Bio classes over 2 days so I want all classes to feel like they had a part in it (I'm sure my 2 U.S. History classes will find a reason to join in on the fun).

1. Live sand
2. Dry rock
3. API Master test kits (Saltwater & Reef). Will be especially useful when I get to the properties of water and nutrient cycling
4. Heater (still need to find out whether the school shuts down a/c on weekends)
5. Protein skimmer
6. Powerhead

I'm sure there are a lot more things I can use but that seems like enough to get started. When I made this post initially I thought it was just a shot in the dark and a few people would view it maybe even less would respond to it. To see the the amount of effort and care you guys have put in to help me out really means a lot. Thank you

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size/gallons, and another question: cant you go to the beach and grab sand and rock?

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find out the size of the tank. I didn’t want to sound ungrateful so I wasn’t entirely comfortable asking.

In terms of salt water I was also thinking about just running down to the beach and grabbing a few jugs. The sand I believe will be too fine and just cloud up the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back