Donated Reef Set-Up With Potential Pests?!

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
At work, I had an older gentlemen ask if he could donate his entire 20 year old reef set up to my Aquarium store. I said yes as we take in unwanted fish and refurbish old tanks/equipment.
He ended up donating a ton of live rock, corals, fish, LOTS of equipment, supplies, and even his 20 gal. reef tank with a metal stand and 10 gal. sump.
Anyways, I asked my boss if I should reef dip any of the new corals or live rock. He said no, just put it into the system. So I did. Fast forward to the next day; I took a very good look at the live rock and noticed gold/yellow strings. At first, I thought it was a type of sponge. However, I noticed it on various other rocks and even some corals.
Not being able to see that closely, I took photos with my phone and zoomed in. To my horror, the strings appear to be some type of worm colony. Does anyone have any clue as to what it is? Is it harmful to the reefs?
0C70E623-1A20-4096-8417-5BF76F3025DC.jpeg
A810843C-54FF-40CA-8B0A-EB7104501064.jpeg

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you work for a store? And your boss doesn't know what it is? Kinda scary.. what's the name of store so I can never shop there

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing to do is to set the donated system up and monitor it as an isolated system BEFORE adding it to the store system.

But now you've infected the store system is there was a problem with the donated tank.

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing to do is to set the donated system up and monitor it as an isolated system BEFORE adding it to the store system.

But now you've infected the store system is there was a problem with the donated tank.
I didn’t do anything. I simply followed the instructions I was given. In the meantime, I’m using a reef safe medication to kill them.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to see this. You were just following directions. I'm sure the boss was not thinking it through. It sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Now, all you can do is learn from the experience and watch the other tanks for signs of spreading. Best of luck to you.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you to take the rocks out and bleach them. Be careful with the reef medication, they are too many and you may have a nutrients spike. Wrasses and maybe CBB consume them if you look for predators.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back