Done Cycling.. Need help on What I should Do Now

reefstarter

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2012
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a ~70 g tank (36 x 18 x 24) and it has now been cycling for 3 weeks and all my levels are at 0. I put in 50 lbs of dry rock, and about 15 lbs of live rock to seed it almost a month ago, and have had 2 mollies in for a couple weeks. I never saw a spike since i used already cycled rocks from petco, so it was safe to put the mollies in. Now I am wondering what the next step is. For my first fish, I would like 2 clown fish and maybe some bangai cardinals.

My question is, do I first have to buy a cleanup crew? I know that I will need one eventually, but I worry there isn't enough growth yet to sustain one. There is some brown algae on the sides, and some green on the rocks, but not a ton. Should I put in the two clowns and wait for more algae to grow, or should I put in a cleanup crew now and then buy the clowns?

Thanks for the help guys, excited to start to get my tank rolling!
 
I would recommend buying a cuc for a 20 or 30 gallon tank. They won't starve and you will ahead of the algae. You don't want the algae ahead of you. I use reef cleaners as its hard to beat John's prices

Sent from my galaxy s3
 
CUC next. I would also seed the tank with a good bacteria. I know you used some live rock to seed but you can't overdose bacteria. I would hold off a few more weeks before fish. Carefull not to add too much livestock at once.
 
You can OD on bacteria and cause a bacterial bloom.

Id go ahead with a small clean up crew.
 
buy CUC.Open a seperate bank account where the better half don't know about it for corals funds only
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new