Done With Filter Socks! Much Easier Way!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g sump right now.....with floss. Sits on egg crate - floss - then another piece of egg crate, to help spread the water.

I have pre-cut sheets of floss. Then - when I change it (cause it starts to smell), let the water drain out - toss the soaked, crud filled floss in the trash and restart. Do this a few times a week.

Also floss = no flexibility for microns. Water clarity is a huge thing. Doesn't polish my water...at all.

So why socks? Mesh (if you use fleece...I do feel bad for you) are the way to go. I can get finer microns - depending on my needs.

I can pop a mesh sock out - flip inside out and use the sprayer on my kitchen sink, clean - flip back and it's back in tank. Entire process.....takes 30 secs? I'm working on getting a sock holder constructed.

Fraction of the time it takes me to deal with floss. Lol

This is main reef tank - so, I can't get a fleece roller on it. But if I could....I'd go that route above all else.
I’m amazed how quickly you can clean the filter socks! I had to soak the Red Sea filter socks in bleach for a few days before washing them in more bleach. Then had to let them sun dry to ensure no bleach residue. Too much work!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am looking for a filter cup or two. Innovative Marine 40l Aio
I just released the IM 40 AIO cup! its here:
code R2R2023 for free shipping!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And I've finalized my RedSea 250, 350 and 525 cup:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back