Done With Filter Socks! Much Easier Way!

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterC99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have a 90g sump right now.....with floss. Sits on egg crate - floss - then another piece of egg crate, to help spread the water.

I have pre-cut sheets of floss. Then - when I change it (cause it starts to smell), let the water drain out - toss the soaked, crud filled floss in the trash and restart. Do this a few times a week.

Also floss = no flexibility for microns. Water clarity is a huge thing. Doesn't polish my water...at all.

So why socks? Mesh (if you use fleece...I do feel bad for you) are the way to go. I can get finer microns - depending on my needs.

I can pop a mesh sock out - flip inside out and use the sprayer on my kitchen sink, clean - flip back and it's back in tank. Entire process.....takes 30 secs? I'm working on getting a sock holder constructed.

Fraction of the time it takes me to deal with floss. Lol

This is main reef tank - so, I can't get a fleece roller on it. But if I could....I'd go that route above all else.
I’m amazed how quickly you can clean the filter socks! I had to soak the Red Sea filter socks in bleach for a few days before washing them in more bleach. Then had to let them sun dry to ensure no bleach residue. Too much work!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new