Don't chase numbers, stability is key (makes no sense)

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why this is such a commonly used phrase. It makes no sense. "Don't chase numbers" and "Stability is key" are contradicting statements.

Let's say you're targeting an Alk level of 8.5 dkh and you notice when testing your level has risen to 9 dkh so you adjust your alk dosing amount down a bit. This is chasing a number but it's also striving for stability.

Let's say you have a Mg level of 1300 and discover that Eyphillia do better at a higher Mg level so you choose to gradually and responsibly raise your Mg level to 1500 over the course of a couple weeks and then maintain the level at 1500. This is chasing a number.

Let's say you test PO4, which for your tank is typically in the 0.05 to 0.08 range, but you find it's at 0.15 and you choose to run some GFO in a responsible manner. This is chasing a number.

Arguably, the most important parameter of all, salinity, we all know should be close to 35 ppm. Are you not topping off your aquarium with freshwater to maintain your salinity? Guess what? That's chasing a number.

All of these are examples of chasing a number but are in no way detrimental or negative. In almost every case imaginable attaining stability means chasing numbers. Otherwise why even test? The phrase "don't chase numbers" is dumb, it's more nuanced than that. Rant over.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the phrase is used more when you are talking about numbers that are still in the proper range, but maybe on the low or high end. Rather than try to make any adjustments, let it ride and keep it stable. Obviously if the number you are testing for is dangerously low or high, you need to step in and make changes.

SFALReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank inhabitants can adapt to a wide range of conditions over time. Swinging values up and down, "chasing", is unstable and they can't adapt. That causes stress, illness and death. I've had things live MUCH longer than they should have in conditions they shouldn't have, because the changes took place over a long time.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank inhabitants can adapt to a wide range of conditions over time. Swinging values up and down, "chasing", is unstable and they can't adapt. That causes stress, illness and death. I've had things live MUCH longer than they should have in conditions they shouldn't have, because the changes took place over a long time.
If your numbers are swinging up and down so wildly that it's causing stress to your corals then you should be chasing a stable number.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, imo, the "Don't chase numbers" applies to ph. People will do things to get their ph up, but it will affect alkalinity, which creates a cycle of chasing one's own tail. I hear people complaining about ph often, so I ask about how the tank looks. Usually the reply is it looks fine. Then I ask why they are trying to increase the ph. They state they heard or read the ph should be higher because someone said so. So that is where the "Stability is key" phrase comes in. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why this is such a commonly used phrase. It makes no sense. "Don't chase numbers" and "Stability is key" are contradicting statements.

They are not, in my view.

Stability refers to the amount of fluctuation in your chemistry. Your Alkalinity can be consistently at 7 and your Calcium consistently at 330. These numbers are stable, but low and require attention.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, imo, the "Don't chase numbers" applies to ph. People will do things to get their ph up, but it will affect alkalinity, which creates a cycle of chasing one's own tail. I hear people complaining about ph often, so I ask about how the tank looks. Usually the reply is it looks fine. Then I ask why they are trying to increase the ph. They state they heard or read the ph should be higher because someone said so. So that is where the "Stability is key" phrase comes in. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
When it comes to pH it's known that a higher pH will allow corals to grow faster. If your tank is 7.8-7.9 your corals may benefit from a boost in pH regardless of how healthy they look at ph 7.8. Telling someone not to chase numbers isn't necessarily good advice and certainly shouldn't be the go to advice. It's more nuanced than that. Yes, chase a higher pH but keep an eye on your alkalinity and also chase a stable alkalinity number by adjusting your dosing as necessary would be my advice.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, like others have said, it comes down to not making drastic changes. When I first started, years ago, whenever something was "off," I'd panic and do whatever I could to get it back into range as quickly as possible. Usually my tank was forgiving, but that's hard on the animals. I was in my 20's and that's pretty much how I reacted to everything at that point in my life. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Now I know that if something is out of whack, I need to move slowly and deliberately and patiently work to bring it back into place. I think it's more about not changing anything too quickly or drastically just because a number isn't measuring where you want it.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not, in my view.

Stability refers to the amount of fluctuation in your chemistry. Your Alkalinity can be consistently at 7 and your Calcium consistently at 330. These numbers are stable, but low and require attention.
In this example maintaining stability would mean maintaining an alk level of 7 and a Ca level of 330 and therefore you are chasing an alk level of 7 and a Ca level of 330 by adjusting your dosing to maintain those levels. If you decide these levels are too low and raise them then you would be chasing higher numbers. In either case, you are chasing numbers for the betterment of your reef. To maintain stability you need to chase numbers, therefore telling someone to maintain stability is telling them to chase numbers. If you tell someone not to chase numbers you are telling them to let their numbers fall wherever they are and never try and adjust anything because otherwise they would be chasing a number.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, like others have said, it comes down to not making drastic changes. When I first started, years ago, whenever something was "off," I'd panic and do whatever I could to get it back into range as quickly as possible. Usually my tank was forgiving, but that's hard on the animals. I was in my 20's and that's pretty much how I reacted to everything at that point in my life. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Now I know that if something is out of whack, I need to move slowly and deliberately and patiently work to bring it back into place. I think it's more about not changing anything too quickly or drastically just because a number isn't measuring where you want it.
I totally agree with this. That's what I mean about using the blanket statement "Don't chase numbers" as some kind of reefing commandment. It's much more nuanced than that. Yes, be responsible and don't make drastic changes but you should be chasing stability and to maintain stability you have to chase numbers.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with this. That's what I mean about using the blanket statement "Don't chase numbers" as some kind of reefing commandment. It's much more nuanced than that. Yes, be responsible and don't make drastic changes but you should be chasing stability and to maintain stability you have to chase numbers.
Agreed. I think it's semantics, but there's probably a better way to explain it to new people.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You misunderstood. The instability would come from the chasing.
Right, instability can come from chasing too aggressively but I'm saying that instability can also come from not chasing. Maintaining stability requires chasing specific numbers. The blanket statement "don't chase numbers" isn't helpful, is confusing, and is in contrast with the statement "maintain stability".

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it should be, "Don't chase numbers without knowing the effects of doing so".
For example, a new Reefer adding a "buffer" to keep ph up may not realize that they are also increasing alkalinity.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Maybe it should be, "Don't chase numbers without knowing the effects of doing so".
For example, a new Reefer adding a "buffer" to keep ph up may not realize that they are also increasing alkalinity.
This is best said. Its not about getting to a number and stay there but not making so many sudden changes that it affects the health of corals and even fish.
Its not uncommon for one to see a healthy SPS tank and as an example notice that person runs ph at 8.3 and alk at 9.9 and they quickly change their 8.1 reading to 8.3 and their alk of 8.7 to 9.9 in hopes their tank will benefit not realizing their corals were doing well and now the change has reversed that

Last edited:

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let's say you're targeting an Alk level of 8.5 dkh and you notice when testing your level has risen to 9 dkh so you adjust your alk dosing amount down a bit. This is chasing a number but it's also striving for stability.

Let's say you have a Mg level of 1300 and discover that Eyphillia do better at a higher Mg level so you choose to gradually and responsibly raise your Mg level to 1500 over the course of a couple weeks and then maintain the level at 1500. This is chasing a number.

Let's say you test PO4, which for your tank is typically in the 0.05 to 0.08 range, but you find it's at 0.15 and you choose to run some GFO in a responsible manner. This is chasing a number.

Arguably, the most important parameter of all, salinity, we all know should be close to 35 ppm. Are you not topping off your aquarium with freshwater to maintain your salinity? Guess what? That's chasing a number.

All of these are examples of chasing a number but are in no way detrimental or negative. In almost every case imaginable attaining stability means chasing numbers. Otherwise why even test? The phrase "don't chase numbers" is dumb, it's more nuanced than that. Rant over.
I don't chase the numbers!

1693410525321.png

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let you reef tank tell you what it needs...

I know that sounds wired, but every tank is different , and ever aquarist know their tank - so what works for one may not work for the other, and so there is no one formula (numbers) that you need to hit for a successful reef tank.

in my experience, In the beginning of a new tank you do have to test and you will, to some extent, "chase numbers". But once the tank is settle in and doing well, and everything looks good and is healthy, you can stop chasing the numbers and instead make small incremental adjustments, mostly based on the observations.

For instance, we run a Trident on our office tank, but haven't actually calibrated it. The Tident was added after the tank was growing well an doing good, so I just adjust dosing based on the trend line the uncalibrated Trident provides. I have no idea what the actual numbers are.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back