Don't chase numbers, stability is key (makes no sense)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1758.png
I’d rather get my information from expert chemists than BRS videos who just parrot what they read without any logical reason besides trying to throw in some buzz words to make you think they are making sense.

Here’s what an actual knowledgeable person says.

I have never once, in decades of advising on reef chemistry, said “don’t chase numbers”.

Chasing desirable values, when done in an appropriate fashion never leads to instability.

It’s how you chase that matters!

And WWC (who BRS collaborated with in that video) literally chases numbers. They specifically chase higher nitrates.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for 30* years (I lost count, it could be a lot more?) and I am very upset with your comment on my “silly, arm length gloves.” I suppose you think that condoms are silly too?

I don’t like how gloves make it difficult to pick up fallen fragments but I swear my fish are happier when I wear them. My disgusting dirty hands and arms cannot possibly improve their water quality and in a small tank (compared to an ocean) my filthy body is not welcome and my fish love me when I slip on those silly gloves and keep my dirt out of their breathing environment.

So, does putting on gloves keep my hands out of the tank? We’re chasing definitions and hopefully we can improve our understanding(s) by using more precise terminology.

*I am not the most precise employer of the English language and I agree that our understanding of things could improve if we chased better communication and use fewer cliches in our posts.

I truly have enjoyed this conversation thread and the discussion about our views on not chasing numbers while balancing stability.

“Ever since the Fall man has struggled to maintain balance. “ (I don’t know whose idea should give attribution too for this last idea).
I love wearing my gloves too. Waltuh White

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am the last person to reply here being non native English speaker but I don't think people's bad reaction on phrase "Don't chase numbers!" has something to do with reefing. IMO it is just human reaction on the phrase because it sounds like somebody is accusing you of doing something wrong or stupid ("Don't chase poor cat!" - "OK, Mum"). IMO there is less chance for negative reaction if phrase it differently like "Any numbers between 0.02 - 0.1 ppm phosphate are OK. There is no need to focus on a specific number. Older, well established tanks can thrive even at levels above 1 ppm".

I will say as a first-speaker of english that chase does have a negative connotation as being something that you do when you are behind or not on top of things.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather get my information from expert chemists than BRS videos who just parrot what they read without any logical reason besides trying to throw in some buzz words to make you think they are making sense.

Here’s what an actual knowledgeable person says.

And WWC (who BRS collaborated with in that video) literally chases numbers. They specifically chase higher nitrates.
Don’t shoot the messenger. I do not listen to BRS, watch videos, or purchase any goods from them. I don’t support the BS.
I was curious and did a google “ brs video chase numbers” that’s what came up.

Two part solution, which later became BRS sold the ingredients for Randy’s two part recipes. So if he never posted the recipes they would not be what they are today lol I don’t know how to tag him but he may have more insight.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about what is driving your actions.

If your Alkalinity suddenly spikes up - and your only reaction is to start doing massive water changes to fix it... you are chasing numbers. Might be ok. But not a well thought or fully mature approach.

If your first reaction should be to double check the ALK, then figure out WHY it went up. Were you dosing too much, is your pH controller on your calcium reactor a bad idea, did something bad happen to your corals and they are not taking it up? After this thought process, if you decide that you dosed too much and then decide to do water changes and fix your dosing.. that's not chasing numbers - even though your intervention is the same.

If you are just tweaking your dosing to stay at target, that is not "chasing numbers" either - IMO - that is your method.

If you have a tank that is doing great with PO4 of .2,. Then, you run out and run a gallon of phosban because someone told you low phos is better - you are chasing numbers.

That's what I think when people say don't chase numbers.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I read that and I pay close attention anytime he chimes in.
I was referring to insight on two-part solutions, BRS and his recipe. That is another topic though and I have already boogered this thread up. I am gonna step out

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just tweaking your dosing to stay at target, that is not "chasing numbers" either - IMO - that is your method.

If you have a tank that is doing great with PO4 of .2,. Then, you run out and run a gallon of phosban because someone told you low phos is better - you are chasing numbers.

That's what I think when people say don't chase numbers.
^^^This right here

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chase the numbers you want (the salt your using) and the po4 and no3 you want

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, like others have said, it comes down to not making drastic changes. When I first started, years ago, whenever something was "off," I'd panic and do whatever I could to get it back into range as quickly as possible. Usually my tank was forgiving, but that's hard on the animals. I was in my 20's and that's pretty much how I reacted to everything at that point in my life. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Now I know that if something is out of whack, I need to move slowly and deliberately and patiently work to bringers it back into place. I think it's more about not changing anything too quickly or drastically just because a number isn't measuring where you want it.
Exactly how I view it and how I approach moves. I think as our biological increases small chemical changes are needed- corals and clams grow and take more out of the water

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back