Don't know what to get

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday at my LFS, I was looking around and always check on the pair of GoldFlake Maroon Clownfish that they have there, as I love the coloring on them. So I was talking to one of the people there, and he was talking about how the female maroon could be a huge ***** and either try to kill everything else in my tank or stress everything in the tank out. He was suggesting either a pair of saddle back clown or mocha clowns.

Current stocking:
Hatchet Goby and Tiger Pistol
Engineer Goby
Bearded Sand Shifting Goby
Christmas Wrasse
Blue Sapphire Damsel
Starry Blenny
1 other damsel (forget the name of it)
Firey Red Shrimp & Cleaner Shrimp
Royal Gramma Basslet

Might be doing a nem and BiColor Foxface as well in the future but currently do not know.

Also, any suggestion for a "show" fish, apparently I am missing something that would more so be a show fish.

Also, I picked up that basslet yesterday...hope you enjoy the picture :)
IMG_20170709_192946272.jpg

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steven,
Have you thought about adding a tang, or a colorful wrasse? Both of those choices would be awesome in your tank. In a 120, I would consider adding a Purple Tang as your last addition. A Lineatus, Flame, or Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse would be an incredible flash of color in your tank, and definitely be a showstopper. I personally love my Flame Wrasse, she's so active and gorgeous!

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steven,
Have you thought about adding a tang, or a colorful wrasse? Both of those choices would be awesome in your tank. In a 120, I would consider adding a Purple Tang as your last addition. A Lineatus, Flame, or Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse would be an incredible flash of color in your tank, and definitely be a showstopper. I personally love my Flame Wrasse, she's so active and gorgeous!

I've thought about doing a tang, as I have seen some really nice tanks, though havent seen any nice purple tangs though. I know my LFS had a nice Flame Wrasse, though I already have a christmas wrasse...would they fight?

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple, yellow and chevron in my 80 rimless and they are great and add a lot to the tank. They look great and they help keep the hair algae at bay :)

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about doing a tang, as I have seen some really nice tanks, though havent seen any nice purple tangs though. I know my LFS had a nice Flame Wrasse, though I already have a christmas wrasse...would they fight?

Look into Purple Tangs some more. They're gorgeous when you see a healthy one. For your wrasse question, it depends. A "Christmas Wrasse" can be two fish. Halichoeres claudia is sometimes classified as a "Christmas Wrasse" and is really aggressive. If you have that fish, I wouldn't recommend the flame. If you have Halichoeres ornatissimus, which is a much less aggressive species, I would go for it! Cirrhilabrus jordani(Flame Wrasse) is an amazing fish, and I love mine. She's so active I can't get a decent picture. Let me know if you have any trouble sourcing a Flame, I'll be able to get you a discount on our site.
I have a purple, yellow and chevron in my 80 rimless and they are great and add a lot to the tank. They look great and they help keep the hair algae at bay :)
Wow! That's incredible, how did you manage to keep the aggression low? Two Zebrasoma's in an 80? One of my friends was worried about two in a 600 gallon.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into Purple Tangs some more. They're gorgeous when you see a healthy one. For your wrasse question, it depends. A "Christmas Wrasse" can be two fish. Halichoeres claudia is sometimes classified as a "Christmas Wrasse" and is really aggressive. If you have that fish, I wouldn't recommend the flame. If you have Halichoeres ornatissimus, which is a much less aggressive species, I would go for it! Cirrhilabrus jordani(Flame Wrasse) is an amazing fish, and I love mine. She's so active I can't get a decent picture. Let me know if you have any trouble sourcing a Flame, I'll be able to get you a discount on our site.

Wow! That's incredible, how did you manage to keep the aggression low? Two Zebrasoma's in an 80? One of my friends was worried about two in a 600 gallon.

I put the chevron in first. A month or so later the yellow went in and a couple months later the purple went in. They are all the same size. And have been in there well over a year and there is absolutely no aggression, chasing, etc

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the chevron in first. A month or so later the yellow went in and a couple months later the purple went in. They are all the same size. And have been in there well over a year and there is absolutely no aggression, chasing, etc
That's certainly a good plan, going from least to most aggressive. Frankly, I'm impressed. Congratulations, that has to look spectacular in your aquarium.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to look and figure out which species I have in the tank, I would just put up a picture though dont't have a good picture currently and right now I believe he is in his sand bed

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of experience with agrression as I have a 300gallon fish only that is pretty stocked and have made many mistakes. The 80 is pretty simple in comparison

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to look and figure out which species I have in the tank, I would just put up a picture though dont't have a good picture currently and right now I believe he is in his sand bed
Google is your friend ;) They can be tricky to ID, so look at as many pictures as possible. If you're really curious, send a picture over to "Evolved", or post in the stickied thread. He'll ID it pretty fast.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google is your friend ;) They can be tricky to ID, so look at as many pictures as possible. If you're really curious, send a picture over to "Evolved", or post in the stickied thread. He'll ID it pretty fast.

I'll probably just try to get a really good picture and then posted it to the stickied thread as it will be probably the quickest and easiest way of getting an accurate ID

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and wrasses are great additions
A six line wrasse, leopard wrasse, yellow crosis wrasse
Nano, yellow, tomato, blonde tangs.
Do some research, adding fish that have a positive role in the reef tank are a plus
Expensive fish aren't always the best option. Stuff like a cleaner wrasse are a great option

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add onto that, I'd highly consider a White Tail Bristletooth Tang as well, those are showstoppers.

Yes I have one of those hiding in that picture. He is a very cool fish and would be a good addition to your 120. A good trio would be a white tail, chocolate, purple and heck throw in a Blonde Naso.
You would have a nice wow factor going. Just be ready to relocate the blonde later down the road. But there easy to sell everyone seems to want one

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have one of those hiding in that picture. He is a very cool fish and would be a good addition to your 120. A good trio would be a white tail, chocolate, purple and heck throw in a Blonde Naso.
You would have a nice wow factor going. Just be ready to relocate the blonde later down the road. But there easy to sell everyone seems to want one
I'll have to disagree with you there, I would never recommend adding a Blonde Naso Tang to any tank under 300 Gallons.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back