Don't suck on that hose!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this on another forum...
As part of his fish-keeping routine, Mr Cunnison would place one end of a hose in the tank then suck on the other end to start siphoning out the dirty water into a bucket.

Although he never swallowed the water, he inhaled bacteria which then infected his lung.

He became sicker and sicker - but at first had no idea that his aquarium was to blame.

Instead, he feared he had cancer when he started losing weight and developed a persistent cough which left him struggling to breathe.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...left-retired-bus-driver-killer-infection.html

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant stop siphoning its too convenient

the times I gargle w peroxide after a siphon gone wrong are too numerous to count. each time im thinking "please no mycobacter, pls no vibrio, dang it why do I have a fat face which causes me to accidentally bite the inside of my cheek while eating burger that inlet w likely be infected now, c'mon stratified squamous epithelia lets band together and make a barrier in spite of"

been lucky 25 yrs.

Last edited:

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got one of those self siphoning water vacs, I would just prime the tube I was using with tap water, pinching the end shut to keep the water in the tube. Place one end in the tank and the other in the bucket, the water in the tube starts the siphon.

I'm not going to suck on a fish turd tube, thank you very much.

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet syphoning freshwater turtle tanks this way is way worse. I used to do that all the time when I worked in pet stores. I was glad we always had peroxide on hand.

Cheers,
rant

Christopher123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the tube in the water and tip it upright so the air comes out. Raise the tube out of the water for a second to push water down the hose and stick it back in...very simple and no water in the mouth.

It blows me away how many people suck on the hose to start the siphon, for the 7 years I've been in the hobby I've never done the suck method and always did what 5altkreep is staying. It's very easy and quick.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF this is actually a serious risk....wouldnt just having a fish tank be a risk? Sucking on the hose isnt the only way to breath in stuff from the tank.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, if you were really worried about this, you could always install one of these for six bucks:
61IDSKHgRJL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Python-Squee...F8&qid=1490209559&sr=8-2&keywords=siphon+bulb

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading that. I always thought it was a little nutty to do the ole mouth siphon...one more reason to just say no!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back