Don't suck on that hose!

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, if you were really worried about this, you could always install one of these for six bucks:
61IDSKHgRJL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Python-Squee...F8&qid=1490209559&sr=8-2&keywords=siphon+bulb

Ding, Ding, Ding... We have a winner here! There is no need to be sucking on the end of a hose. :D

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Doe this mean I shouldn't use a straw to drink water from my tank???
I guess that depends.. if you're only drinking the water neat, it should be fine.. if you plan on using it to swirl up your single malt, that would be a travesty.. to the single malt of course.. you'd be just fine... [emoji6] [emoji12]

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my Python clogged with sand, I just started using my baster to start the siphon. Has worked 100% so far, never even had to prime twice.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting case study. A couple of observations.

This is only the third case in history in an immunocompetent individual. Immunocompetency is a relative term when attributed to a seventy year old. We also don't know what other issues he may have had. His appearance is that of a smoker.

Three cases world wide means you have a much better chance of winning the lottery, being elected president or being mauled by two different colors bears in the same day(don't ask).:D

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff like this is why I have a hand pump to start the siphon with. I'm not blowing anything literally-lol. HAND PUMP...BLOWING....Yeah, I'm still talking about fish tanks-lol.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouth suckin 25 years and going strong...cough cough

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the tube in the water and tip it upright so the air comes out. Raise the tube out of the water for a second to push water down the hose and stick it back in...very simple and no water in the mouth.

Great advice!
(But it only works really well on smaller hoses. Bigger hoses don't prime as easily.)

IF this is actually a serious risk....wouldnt just having a fish tank be a risk? Sucking on the hose isnt the only way to breath in stuff from the tank.

+1

I would love to see that guys comprehensive white blood cell count... Can't imagine this happening to anyone with a fully functional immune system.

+1

Is dailymail.uk actually a legit news site, or more of a National Enquirer/two-headed sheep kind of news site?

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used a turkey baster or put the whole hose into the water, get all of the air out and then put my thumb over one end and pull that end out and into the bucket and let go. I have never suck on a hose.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting case study. A couple of observations.

This is only the third case in history in an immunocompetent individual. Immunocompetency is a relative term when attributed to a seventy year old. We also don't know what other issues he may have had. His appearance is that of a smoker.

Three cases world wide means you have a much better chance of winning the lottery, being elected president or being mauled by two different colors bears in the same day(don't ask).:D
LOL Yes maybe I can be President as soon as they give my Loto winnings, and those two dam bears quit following me

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also guys, if you're worried about this super rare disease, you should all wear armpit length gloves for fear of fish TB or vibro...and never ever put your exposed skin in the water.

I'm sure the story is probably legit, but even as the article states, it's super rare. Shark attacks are more common, and I'm already planning another snorkel/dive trip!

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Paul B would say, just make sure you are getting plenty of good fresh food with bacteria and moderate parasites and it will help the immune system. :eek: Of course with supermodels pouring you Grand Marnier so the levels dont get out of control.:rolleyes:

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also guys, if you're worried about this super rare disease, you should all wear armpit length gloves for fear of fish TB or vibro...and never ever put your exposed skin in the water.

I'm sure the story is probably legit, but even as the article states, it's super rare. Shark attacks are more common, and I'm already planning another snorkel/dive trip!
Good Luck where are you going to go snorkeling? I should have stayed out of the water I went scuba diving and got back in the hobby LOL

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back