Don't suck on that hose!

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dumb question. Why doesn't anyone ever get this from swimming in the ocean? Is there just that much more bacteria going on in a tank?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been suck starting siphons for 25 years now. Never had a problem, and I can tell you, I've gotten a mouth full on multiple occasions. :eek: LOL

Chad

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been suck starting siphons for 25 years now. Never had a problem, and I can tell you, I've gotten a mouth full on multiple occasions. :eek: LOL

Chad
Only way to fix that is swallow it and chase it with a minimum of 5 shots of your preferred alcohol LOL

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always find myself getting about-faced regarding peroxide at the moment of ingestion

all day long am posting on forums how using it doesn't affect your tank bacteria, and then when ingestion occurs im assuming with intent that all bacteria hate it and die immediately and peroxide is my best bet maybe combined with two Listerine runs

Scott H. on goog there is an article about a man swimming off coast of Texas, Corpus I believe that caught it. it certainly does happen in ocean

isolated cases happen anytime we are in association with ocean materials. natural selection literally

I would posit a portion of readers here have already encountered it at the microbial level more than once it just happened to find no real entry.

Regarding ocean effect on cuts, Ill never forget the time in the Caymans where after one day scuba diving a rather decent little cut on my finger had mostly healed. in the dirt of west texas it was easily a 10 day heal, the divemaster told us cuts heal faster after diving those pristine waters he was right.

if a vibrio would have landed there=bad.

Last edited:

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to fix that is swallow it and chase it with a minimum of 5 shots of your preferred alcohol LOL
vodka obviously. I'll continue to believe it grows bacteria in a tank, yet kills it in my mouth. Plus it's always laying around close by. However I'm not sure which tastes worse. Probably the 5oclock.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inhaled flat worms/sand/who knows what by doing that. I remember last week I was siphoning out red flat worms and was having a hard time getting the siphon started..I sucked up so much water on accident when I was spitting it out into the bucket I could see flat worms with it lol.

I survived bad roid cycles, motorcycle accidents, a divorce and the military. If my fish tank kills me maybe its just my time to go. :)

MichaelD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fuel siphon squeeze thingy designed to use for kerosene. It has only ever been used for the aquarium. Works great for me. Just rinse it real good after use in saltwater. I like it because I can use the squeeze bulb to remove water from the sump after it gets to low to siphon. Shop vacuum works well here too.

Jbryan243

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the dumbest thing I've done; I had a nice clump of xenia floating around and it had drifted under a rock so I came up with the great idea of sucking it up in some hose. Worked like a dream until I remove my finger from the opposite end with the hose still in my mouth, down the hatch it went water and all.
I'm still standing!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that depends.. if you're only drinking the water neat, it should be fine.. if you plan on using it to swirl up your single malt, that would be a travesty.. to the single malt of course.. you'd be just fine... [emoji6] [emoji12]

You must have missed the documentary "How Beer Saved Civilization" (or was it "...the World"?) where they made beer from duck pond water.

Perfectly safe to drink post-ferment.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fuel siphon squeeze thingy designed to use for kerosene. It has only ever been used for the aquarium. Works great for me. Just rinse it real good after use in saltwater. I like it because I can use the squeeze bulb to remove water from the sump after it gets to low to siphon. Shop vacuum works well here too.
have you considered saving yourself the hassle and just suck on the end of the hose?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%

Back