Dorm Inspection 10 vs 20 Gallon

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a pretty sweet 20 gallon hex that’s really
starting to come into its own biologically. I’m very excited to see it progress and gain biodiversity.

I go off to college next year, (as a biology major go figure), and I would very much like to bring this with me. The move is probably about an hour, hour and a half. One side of Atlanta to the other, so that’s not the issue.

The dorm, as most dorms do, has a policy restricting fish tanks to ones less than 10 gallons.

My question is, if I just slapped a 10-gallon promotional label on the rim or something could it slip under the radar?

Anyone have success in trying before?

I want to plan the future of this tank so I know that current or near future livestock decisions don’t become irresponsible.

Tanks!

p.s. I’d include a picture of the tank but it’s covered in algae. Gross to most folks, fascinatingly alive to me. Regardless, someone would have a bone to pick with me lol.

slapppc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replying on my desktop account (If alt accounts are not allowed, I'm lying.) to say the rock in this tank is older than me, which is what spawned my interest in biology. My dream is to take it into the classroom as a teacher and inspire more. So, I'd like to keep it alive by really any means. Even if that means scrapping the reef for a 10-gallon box O rocks.

In hindsight, that's pretty cool.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From an adult/Mom POV, should you take the 20 when the limit is 10? No.

Pragmatically, it's possible that you have an RA/dorm supervisor that cares about rules, and if you get "busted" - have a plan to get it out and back home safely ASAP. (Since you're close, this could be doable as long as you have time without finals, projects, and other college obligations)

But honestly, the chances that anyone knows the difference between a 20 gal and a 10 gal is slim to none. If I were in your shoes, I'd prob do it, understanding the risk.

One last note, though. Dorm rooms are SMALL. Space is a high commodity. If you don't already have a map of your specific room, I'd wait to make the final call until you know for sure for sure that you will have space.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also final consideration - if the rock in your tank is older than you ... are you willing to risk losing it by moving it (and any other tank inhabitants) back and forth at least 2 times a year, maybe up to 6 or 8? (move in, thanksgiving/fall break, winter break between semesters (usually about a month), spring break, summer)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not know your RA so it would be a crap shoot if it was OK or not

You can use the same account and you do not need a separate you for your pc

slapppc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From an adult/Mom POV, should you take the 20 when the limit is 10? No.

Pragmatically, it's possible that you have an RA/dorm supervisor that cares about rules, and if you get "busted" - have a plan to get it out and back home safely ASAP. (Since you're close, this could be doable as long as you have time without finals, projects, and other college obligations)

But honestly, the chances that anyone knows the difference between a 20 gal and a 10 gal is slim to none. If I were in your shoes, I'd prob do it, understanding the risk.

One last note, though. Dorm rooms are SMALL. Space is a high commodity. If you don't already have a map of your specific room, I'd wait to make the final call until you know for sure for sure that you will have space.
Exactly what my mom said Lol!

Having to perform various emergency moves in the past, I'd probably err on the side of caution. But, as you said the chances are slim.

The space deficiency is a much more significant issue, but that's why I love the 20 gallon hexagon. It's got a footprint of 16 inches by 16 inches. I have access to the maps, and I went and saw a dorm for myself in a visit (Another win for local colleges.) So I'll make myself a nice pretty floorplan that checks the needs of "living" before the tank.

Oh and lucky for my roommates, there are separate bedrooms. If they somehow aren't allured by the blue glow and sounds of the sea.

Thank you for your advice, I will tread carefully.

slapppc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also final consideration - if the rock in your tank is older than you ... are you willing to risk losing it by moving it (and any other tank inhabitants) back and forth at least 2 times a year, maybe up to 6 or 8? (move in, thanksgiving/fall break, winter break between semesters (usually about a month), spring break, summer)
This is true, but I guess the alternative is leaving my rock unattended for all the remaining time at school. Not all the rock is encompassed in this tank, so I guess that's a plan B?

In my eyes, if the rock dies, I'd rather be there to see it than to come home to it.

I am trying to make it as self-sustaining as possible whilst still keeping the system as simple as possible. That relies on the good hand of biology to take favor on me. For example I haven't had a water-change since September, but my alks good! That's the least of my worries in the terms you describe. So it will definitely be an experiment.

Maybe I succeed and create the best reef tank anyone ever done did saw, maybe it explodes on the floor, the dorm catches ablaze, and I get expelled!

Limitless possibilities contained in 6 panes of glass.

I love aquariums, man.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the forethought, earnestness and energy you are putting into this.

Father of recent college grad's perspective here...
Donate the tank and or all it's inhabitants to a local established reefer, put this energy into your next journey. It will come back to you 10 fold on the other end.

Or, you can reach out to current sophomores and juniors from the college you will be attending and seek other options. maybe there's a common area, teachers office etc. look up clubs and what-not

- Sincerely -

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a lot harder for them to tell if a tank is 10 vs 20g with it being a hex. So... I would do it...

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a pretty sweet 20 gallon hex that’s really
starting to come into its own biologically. I’m very excited to see it progress and gain biodiversity.

I go off to college next year, (as a biology major go figure), and I would very much like to bring this with me. The move is probably about an hour, hour and a half. One side of Atlanta to the other, so that’s not the issue.

The dorm, as most dorms do, has a policy restricting fish tanks to ones less than 10 gallons.

My question is, if I just slapped a 10-gallon promotional label on the rim or something could it slip under the radar?

Anyone have success in trying before?

I want to plan the future of this tank so I know that current or near future livestock decisions don’t become irresponsible.

Tanks!

p.s. I’d include a picture of the tank but it’s covered in algae. Gross to most folks, fascinatingly alive to me. Regardless, someone would have a bone to pick with me lol.
Be aware that many dorms turn off power over holidays like thanksgiving, xmas springbreak. We brought the 10 g to the dorm in sept, took it home forever at thanksgiving.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they restrict you to ONE tank? Two tens plumbed together.

My limit at college was 20 gallons, so I had a 20 tall SW and my roommate had the 15 crayfish tank (both were my tanks).

If I was to do it all over it would be 5 to 10, just for ease of movement and rebuild during breaks. I had a 38 gallon Fowlr when I lived off campus. I left that running with just the the undergravel filter (yes... I'm old) over winter break and brought the fish/rocks/trickle filter home and rigged up spare tanks at home.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back