Dos and calrx

darksideofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up two Neptune doses and was going to run tropic marin balling method (or brs two part, I have both) but recently picked up. A calcium reactor.

So A few questions I have has anyone had long term success using the dos to feed your calrx? I know it's possible but don't know how well it works long term?

What's the best ph probe for calrx and apex

Can I run my cal ex under my tank in the basement??

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to running it from your basement, there's no limitations with regards to the capabilities of the DOS pumps. They are capable and powerful allright, so that's not an issue.

As for "long term", how long are you looking for? While not being used for a calcium reactor, I have 4 DOS currently in use - all bought used of eBay. All are rock solid with 3-monthly lubrication of the tubing.

As for the PH probe, I'd be using the standard Neptune probe - but others may have different opinions on that.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS is not a continuous duty pump. Some use them for that, but they don't last long. By lasting long, I mean like decades as other continuous duty dosing pumps do.

I strongly suggest that you learn how to tune a CaRx and not use a pH controller or probe. There is a google doc linked in my signature if you need some help. pH probe is the most unreliable piece of equipment in the hobby. If you must use one, just use it to monitor. Learning how to tune seems hard at first, but then you just get it and you have a skill for the rest of your life - kinda like tuning a carburetor used to be.

Calcium reactor is a closed system so the only thing that matters is where the entry and exit are. If they are both in the same location in the stand, then no head pressure... but maybe some tubing pressure which is not much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back