Do's and Don'ts for a Nano FOWLR Tank

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings Fellow hobbyists,

I'm embarking on what might be considered a daring endeavor, but my enthusiasm for FOWLR tanks compels me to explore this path (usually the FOWLR are quite large tanks). With a deep love for FOWLR setups, I'm venturing into the realm of a heavily stocked 50-gallon tank. Here's my initial setup:

- Tank Dimensions: 90×45×45 cm (Approximately 50 gallons)
- All-In-One design with a rear filter compartment
- Return Pump: 4000 L/H
- Appropriate Gyre rated for 90 cm aquarium ( on the overflow side)
- Appropriate power-head for the tank's size ( on the return side)
- A 1-inch thick sand bed
- 14 pounds of reef rock
- Bio-media rated for tanks up to 200 gallons
- Mechanical filtration using filter socks

At this point, I've not yet acquired a skimmer or refugium. My intention is to populate the tank with a generous number of fish suitable for its size, aiming for around 15 in total.

In light of these details, I'd like to seek the expertise of the community members with the following inquiries:

1. Could you kindly recommend an appropriate skimmer for my situation? The skimmer compartment is somewhat compact (17 × 11 cm), making an HOB skimmer seem fitting. I'm keen to get suggestions for suitable skimmer (either internal or HOB).

2. As for a refugium, I'm considering an HOB option. Can I repurpose an HOB filter as a refugium, or would it be wiser to invest in a dedicated HOB refugium unit? Also is refugium necessary?

3. Beyond ammonia and nitrate, what additional water parameters should I monitor? I'd appreciate advice on measuring these parameters and your recommended instrumentation. Also, what should be the target values for these water parameters. (Other than ammonia)

4. I'm planning to do a water change of 30-40% twice a week. Could you offer your insights on whether this approach is reasonable?

I eagerly await the valuable guidance and insights of the experienced members in this group.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Maybe a Tunze or IceCap (would have to take measurements).
2. Refugium may not be necessary.
3. Alkalinity, salinity, temperature. 8.5dKH alkalinity, 35.5ppt salinity and 78.0°F temperature.
4. 10% every 2 weeks is usually sufficient. 10% every week would still be fine. 30-40% twice a week isn't a good idea for a lot of reasons.

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. Alkalinity, salinity, temperature. 8.5dKH alkalinity, 35.5ppt salinity and 78.0°F temperature.
4. 10% every 2 weeks is usually sufficient. 10% every week would still be fine. 30-40% twice a week isn't a good idea for a lot of reasons.
Thank you so much for your guidance

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. Especially on the water change amount. In your original post, the OP said 30-40% which would be much more than necessary IMO and might actually be a shock to the tank inhabitants. 10% is plenty for regular maintenance. Larger water changes aren't necessary unless trying to correct a problem.

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Especially on the water change amount. In your original post, the OP said 30-40% which would be much more than necessary IMO and might actually be a shock to the tank inhabitants. 10% is plenty for regular maintenance. Larger water changes aren't necessary unless trying to correct a problem.
Thanks a lot for your valuable endorsement. I will keep it in mind...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back