DOS water change + gravity ato

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input on how to setup the ATO system when using the DOS for auto water change. My plan was to use the DOS to do an automatic weekly water change but I'm using a gravity fed ATO with float valve. Aside from getting the neptune ATK or similar what would be my best option to "disable" the ATO while the auto water change is running?

Originally I was going to just add a solenoid valve to the ATO line but having a difficult time finding a 24V plastic normally open solenoid valve. I could also spread out the auto water change over the course of 7 days and it shouldn't really affect the ATO but I'd prefer it to just do it on a specific day at a specific time.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I may not be answering your original question, but as long as the DOS is calibrated, it will draw and add water at the same time, so you should not see a water level fluctuation during a water change. Just ensure the DOS is calibrated. Also, make sure your pulling water in a different spot than where you are adding it so it doesn’t pull new water by accident.

OP
OP
Mr. GoodStuff

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not be answering your original question, but as long as the DOS is calibrated, it will draw and add water at the same time, so you should not see a water level fluctuation during a water change. Just ensure the DOS is calibrated. Also, make sure your pulling water in a different spot than where you are adding it so it doesn’t pull new water by accident.

Yeah I seen that from researching it but just figured if I can add a backup to prevent unwanted RO water being added why not.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to disable ATO in any way when AWC is being done.

What is a good idea though is to install float switches above and below normal water level and disable the DOS from running if the water level goes out of whack.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with no need, but if you still want a back up, you can add one.

Something like a rodi line solenoid on you gravity feed and controlled by the apex would work. Just put it inline of the feed to the float valve. It would need to be a “normally open” type and would be activated while the dos is running. This would cause the solenoid to “close” and no water could pass through it.

OP
OP
Mr. GoodStuff

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to disable ATO in any way when AWC is being done.

What is a good idea though is to install float switches above and below normal water level and disable the DOS from running if the water level goes out of whack.

Yes I plan to put optical sensors for high and low level in sump to monitor everything and shut components off in the event the levels are way out.

Agree with no need, but if you still want a back up, you can add one.

Something like a rodi line solenoid on you gravity feed and controlled by the apex would work. Just put it inline of the feed to the float valve. It would need to be a “normally open” type and would be activated while the dos is running. This would cause the solenoid to “close” and no water could pass through it.

That's what I'm looking for but having a tough time finding a normally open solenoid that isn't made of metal.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I plan to put optical sensors for high and low level in sump to monitor everything and shut components off in the event the levels are way out.

That's what I'm looking for but having a tough time finding a normally open solenoid that isn't made of metal.
Metal should not be an issue for the ATO side, as it is rodi water. Just needs to be stainless and it should be fine.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neptune makes one that uses your 24V port so it doesn't take up an outlet.

OP
OP
Mr. GoodStuff

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune makes one that uses your 24V port so it doesn't take up an outlet.

The neptune one is normally closed though so I'd have to apply power to it 24/7 so the gravity fed ATO works and then turn it off when the AWC is runing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back