Dose 2 part while cycling new tank?

REEFDAZE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a rsr xl 425 after 15 years out of the hobby and I can't see why I wouldn't dose 2 part while cycling the tank.
Please correct and educate me as to why I wouldn't want to do this, or is this correct?

coriii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should start to dose when there’s demand. I mean, I did start to dose when I had a decent population of stony corals and they started growing and water changes alone weren’t enough anymore to maintain my parameters.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why you don't dose when cycling is because you dose according to demand. When cycling, you likely have no calcareous algae, corals, snails, etc. that would use the two part. I know that cycling can actually affect alk but it shouldn't be dramatic. Th

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda disagree. Kinda agree.

Cycling tanks won't consume calcium. At least I'm assuming you don't have a bunch of big montipora in there (??).

Cycling however will consume alk as nitrate production occurs. At the end of the cycle it can get pretty extreme with alk diving a point or more daily. Alk at 6 doesn't exactly expedite tank cycling and getting through the ugly phase. Just slows things down.

This is where Reef Crystal's comes in with its stupid high alk :) I've always called it "cycling salt" for this reason - lol

So...keeping a casual eye on alk near the end of your cycle is worth it because its gets nothing but more wonky from there. Again, until you have a lot of fast growing stony corals calcium isn't even worth testing.

OP
OP
REEFDAZE

REEFDAZE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda disagree. Kinda agree.

Cycling tanks won't consume calcium. At least I'm assuming you don't have a bunch of big montipora in there (??).

Cycling however will consume alk as nitrate production occurs. At the end of the cycle it can get pretty extreme with alk diving a point or more daily. Alk at 6 doesn't exactly expedite tank cycling and getting through the ugly phase. Just slows things down.

This is where Reef Crystal's comes in with its stupid high alk :) I've always called it "cycling salt" for this reason - lol

So...keeping a casual eye on alk near the end of your cycle is worth it because its gets nothing but more wonky from there. Again, until you have a lot of fast growing stony corals calcium isn't even worth testing.
I'm cycling with red sea pro I'm using it for the same reason the high all levels.
It's going to be interesting to watch the levels with the neptune apex.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back