Doser and Dosing Containers - Apex

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am already getting sick of manually dosing 2-part especially when I realize the next day that I forgot to dose. I already have an apex system setup with a doser for auto waterchanges, loud as hell but I set it to do 3 gallons every day at time when I am sleeping.

1) (Not as important, but curious) Should I stick to Neptune for dosing or are there any quieter dosers that work with apex systems?

2) What do you guys like for dosing containers? If I was using neptune dos, I would like to stick with their DDR containers. I have heard not great things about them though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I am already getting sick of manually dosing 2-part especially when I realize the next day that I forgot to dose. I already have an apex system setup with a doser for auto waterchanges, loud as hell but I set it to do 3 gallons every day at time when I am sleeping.

1) (Not as important, but curious) Should I stick to Neptune for dosing or are there any quieter dosers that work with apex systems?

2) What do you guys like for dosing containers? If I was using neptune dos, I would like to stick with their DDR containers. I have heard not great things about them though.
Water color and others I have are good. DOS good but pricey

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ddr container are compact hold a good amount but the sensors fail. I heard it’s because where the board is additives get to it from the top and ruin the board

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ddr container are compact hold a good amount but the sensors fail. I heard it’s because where the board is additives get to it from the top and ruin the board

Would you still suggest it or do you recommend another container?

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest there are other options like diy containers or individual ones. I like individual ones its easier to clean each one if you want to change additives. Depending on the space you have they can work if you stay with the additives your dosing

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the dos for 2 part dosing and where it isn’t moving much liquid it isn’t that loud, just a little hum. The only reason to use a dos IMO for 2 part is if you’re using it along with a trident to have controlled dosing where the apex will adjust your dosage. If not going to use controlled dosing I would just go with cheaper pumps, I tend to like Kamoer pumps.
I have never used the ddr but if you are okay with diy there is a hack by shorting two pins together to get the graph on your dashboard without using the ddr.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS is very quiet when running at the slow speeds typically used for dosing additives. I posted a video showing the DOS running at each of its six speeds so you can hear the difference:

See my DOS tutorial for more details:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water color is a dosing pump? How about containers?
Marine color, not water color (hate spell correct) and also esshopps

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the DOS and DDR. The assessment with the optical sensors is bang-on; sometimes they work - sometimes not. Having the visual readout of remaining volumes in the dashboard is handy - especially when the DDR sensors don't get triggered. Trident-controlled dosing works really well, so that is a perk with the DOS.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with an Eagles reference. ;)

Well, duhhhh lol I knew that part :face-with-tears-of-joy:. But yeah 100% true, I can never leave them.

I use the dos for 2 part dosing and where it isn’t moving much liquid it isn’t that loud, just a little hum. The only reason to use a dos IMO for 2 part is if you’re using it along with a trident to have controlled dosing where the apex will adjust your dosage. If not going to use controlled dosing I would just go with cheaper pumps, I tend to like Kamoer pumps.
I have never used the ddr but if you are okay with diy there is a hack by shorting two pins together to get the graph on your dashboard without using the ddr.

Awesome, thanks for this info. I will consider if I don't get a DDR. I think my goal is trident eventually, if I get another DOS which I pretty much am.

The DOS is very quiet when running at the slow speeds typically used for dosing additives. I posted a video showing the DOS running at each of its six speeds so you can hear the difference:

See my DOS tutorial for more details:

Thanks for the video demonstration. Not too bad at all.

Marine color, not water color (hate spell correct) and also esshopps

I searched afterwards and seen Marine Color and assumed that is what you were talking about. Thanks.

I use the DOS and DDR. The assessment with the optical sensors is bang-on; sometimes they work - sometimes not. Having the visual readout of remaining volumes in the dashboard is handy - especially when the DDR sensors don't get triggered. Trident-controlled dosing works really well, so that is a perk with the DOS.

So the optical sensor doesn't mean all that much if you are constantly checking your equipment, reservoirs all the time I am taking. It will still display a graph based on manually entering how much is in your DDR containers and how much the DOS takes out?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the optical sensor doesn't mean all that much if you are constantly checking your equipment, reservoirs all the time I am taking. It will still display a graph based on manually entering how much is in your DDR containers and how much the DOS takes out?
I explain all the details of the DDR in my DOS tutorial. Scroll way down to section 22 and you’ll see screenshots of what it displays and how to manually set its current volume when you refill the reservoirs:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess not. It should trigger an alarm in the Apex when it gets low, but I'm finding this doesn't always happen for the alkalinity chamber.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a sensor

Idk I'm asking cuz I don't know

No apex yet but getting one so learning now

I thought you put the dosing container size and amount into the apex dash board and it tracked how much was left

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS is definitely worth picking up...I use two (one for AWC and one for 2 part).....save your money and stay away from the DDR though. After having mine fixed several times, I finally just ripped all the electronics out of it and now just have a regular, expensive acrylic container.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back