DOSER distance

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently in the process of setting up my water change system where my RO/DI unit & salt mixing station are going to be automated in my water heater room. I would like to know what is the feasibility of also running my DOSE pump for chemicals out of this room to reduce any noise outside. Given this requires a 50 foot long tube and unsure how well you can calibrate a DOSE pump to handle that outside of doing regular water changes, which do not require much in terms of accuracy.

It’s would also be nice to save space in the main area.

Edit: apparently this blog can’t handle high quality photos so apologies for the lack of

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently in the process of setting up my water change system where my RO/DI unit & salt mixing station are going to be automated in my water heater room. I would like to know what is the feasibility of also running my DOSE pump for chemicals out of this room to reduce any noise outside. Given this requires a 50 foot long tube and unsure how well you can calibrate a DOSE pump to handle that outside of doing regular water changes, which do not require much in terms of accuracy.

It’s would also be nice to save space in the main area.
Which dosing pump will you be using? The Neptune DOS?

I wouldn't use any pump for both dosing of elements- and automatic water change at the same time. In fact, I would not even know how to go about this! :)

50 feet is a long distance away; some pumps are definetly up to the task though..

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly a pure Apex setup for Dosing and water changes. So a DOS.
Vertically: Maximum of 24ft in any combination.
Horizontally: Maximum of 100ft.

I wouldn't use any pump for both dosing of elements- and automatic water change at the same time. In fact, I would not even know how to go about this! :)

You will need two DOS pumps (maybe three depending on the elements you're planning on dosing!)

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertically: Maximum of 24ft in any combination.
Horizontally: Maximum of 100ft.

This would be 2 separate DOS units and not the same unit.

For the non water change unit, this is where I’m unsure how the accuracy would work as it would need to feed the line with either air — or full chemical — over 50 feet of length.

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be 2 separate DOS units and not the same unit.
Then no problem! :) As long as you follow the distances posted above (Copied from Neptune Systems!)

What will you be dosing? :)

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then no problem! :) As long as you follow the distances posted above (Copied from Neptune Systems!)

What will you be dosing? :)
Calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are the original focus points until I get a grasp on where the tank lands post setup.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are the original focus points until I get a grasp on where the tank lands post setup.
Aye, but which system :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Maker, manufacturer, brand - whatever you like to call it!

Keep in mind, some are 1-part solutions, some are 2, 3 or even 4 so it will affect the number of DOS pumps you would need.

They are costly (very!), so it is definetly worth looking for a 1- or 2 part solution that will fit your needs!

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, but which system :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Maker, manufacturer, brand - whatever you like to call it!

Keep in mind, some are 1-part solutions, some are 2, 3 or even 4 so it will affect the number of DOS pumps you would need.

They are costly (very!), so it is definetly worth looking for a 1- or 2 part solution that will fit your needs!
If you have any recommendations, I’m definitely all ears.

I have not dug into that side yet. The DOS and system is obviously Neptune equipment (including the sensor tank) — as for the chemical mix and brand — I’m unsure atm.

An Apex Trident will be the sampler of course.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any recommendations, I’m definitely all ears.

I have not dug into that side yet.
Well; none that you would like from a budget point of view I'm affraid ;) I am using Triton Core-7 (4-part). Very, very happy with that.

I do have three nano tanks all being dosed with Tropic Marin All For Reef (1 part). That would only require one dosing head; it's a simple approach what comes with a different set of challenges. I use the Ecotech Vectra (which cost half of a DOS for one head).

BRS has some advice here and on their YouTube channel. Plenty of videos on the subject.

I don't know of any two-parts that are available in the US. I am testing out Reef Zlements here in the UK with good results.

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well; none that you would like from a budget point of view I'm affraid ;) I am using Triton Core-7 (4-part). Very, very happy with that.

I do have three nano tanks all being dosed with Tropic Marin All For Reef (1 part). That would only require one dosing head; it's a simple approach what comes with a different set of challenges. I use the Ecotech Vectra (which cost half of a DOS for one head).

BRS has some advice here and on their YouTube channel. Plenty of videos on the subject.

I don't know of any two-parts that are available in the US. I am testing out Reef Zlements here in the UK with good results.
Shouldn’t be an issue. My budgeting expectations are pretty set regarding the hobby.

Appreciate the links and references.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back