Doser question

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
495
Location
Sevierville Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon bio cube.. would a doser for Kh, calcium and magnesium be over kill? I check the water like 3 times a week and adjust the Kh Several times a week.. been doing it for years.. just looking for a easier way..
 
Not really unless it makes your life that much easier. Personally if it's not that big of a pain then I would Manuel dose. I've heard and experienced dosers going bad and crashing the tank. I don't think the risk will be worth the reward.
 
I use BRS dosers controlled by my APEX. Safer than I am in my experience. My only dosing mishap was not equipment caused but caused by my own stupidity/inattentiveness. I do dose magnesium manually. I only have to dose it every 6-8 weeks or so. It goes down very slowly.
 
My magnesium drops slow too.. just thought it would better on the corals to keep everything at one level vs it dropping in between manual doses.. but with it being a smaller tank I was looking for input..
 
It sounds like your current strategy is working for you but it's a hassle. I'm in favor of automating anything you can in this hobby so you're more likely to be happy and successful in your reefing.

What is your time 3-4 times a week worth to you? You could buy a cheap Jebao 4 head doser for $75. I've been using one on my tank for a year and it works well enough, but it's not as reliable or fancy as a lot of other dosing options.

http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Programmable-Auto-Dosing-DP-4/dp/B014KKCILE
 
Do you have an ATO? What is your evaporation like? Using kalk maybe another way to automate.

I did this on my sumpless 55g, and use the same on my 120g since I upgraded. I have an avast marine ATO, and this may not work on all ATO systems.

I use a digital timer set to run 2 minute (one min before the upgrade) every 30min all day, aqualifter pump so slowish feed, (a brs 1.1ml pump would be better.)
So ATO only allows water level to set level, timer keeps kalk addition slow and spaced out to not spike pH. I would recommend a pH meter when setting up.
I'd be happy to discuss more if your interested.
This takes care of alk/Ca, I manually dose mag when needed (not often, depends on water change routine)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new