Dosers - Apex vs Red Sea - Want your opinions

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I need some help, opinions and feedback - I currently have 2 tanks (Nuvo 20 and a RS Max 500). I am about to set up a 3rd (Reefer 250). I currently have an Apex system and a Hydros system that I don't have hooked up yet. But I am about to the Apex on the big tank and the Hydros will go on the 250, or so I think.

I am manually dosing and testing every day and want to start thinking through automation.

My first question is:
I use Hanna testers and really enjoy testing and tracking. I love the science project side of maintaining the water. After all, we really are water-keepers, no? So, if I wanted to focus on the big 3 and use a Trident 1) is it really worth it? I test alk twice a day calcium and mag weekly or more as needed. BUT, why do I see soooooo many of these systems up for resale (I am a bargain shopper...). I see so many listed for sale and so many refurbished. Are these machines "questionable"?

Next - Automated dosing. This is something I really need to get onboard with for many reasons. I need to dose through out the day and I can't do that with my work schedule. So, I have been looking at some dosers.

Jebao - I have a new 4 doser that I got along with some other stuff. I am not sure I want to trust this thing, it is the wifi version. I am thinking may using it on my planted fw tank as I dose that manually and have a lot more room for error there.

But I have been looking at Apex and Red Sea - I don't care if I have different apps that I have to manage, that is no different than anything else in my life.
Apex - so expensive vs. the Red Sea (2 vs. 4 doser), second hand. If you didn't care about multiple apps and were looking at these two thinking through value proposition? Remember I only have 1 Apex unit. I don't plan on putting any master controller on the Nuvo 20.

What are your opinions on what dosing controllers you would use by tank?
Max 500 - Will use Apex system, but I am not married to using Apex dosers.
Reefer 250 - I am going to put the Hydros on this -
Nuvo 20 - No master controller

Thoughts?

Wizard677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Trident for about a year and the only issue I have had is with the calibration solution that comes with the reagents. I calibrate to my hanna checkers and never have an issue. I had a Jebao return pump that had screws rusting into the water and would fluctuate badly. So, I never went with another Jeboa. Maybe the dosers are better? I use an Apex Dos. I constantly have to "reseal" the lines coming in and out due to air being introduced. I've thought about trying the Redsea doser, but I let the Trident control the dosing and have never had an issue other than air in the line affecting correct amount dosed. And it's only a 2x vs 4x.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Trident for about a year and the only issue I have had is with the calibration solution that comes with the reagents. I calibrate to my hanna checkers and never have an issue. I had a Jebao return pump that had screws rusting into the water and would fluctuate badly. So, I never went with another Jeboa. Maybe the dosers are better? I use an Apex Dos. I constantly have to "reseal" the lines coming in and out due to air being introduced. I've thought about trying the Redsea doser, but I let the Trident control the dosing and have never had an issue other than air in the line affecting correct amount dosed. And it's only a 2x vs 4x.
Unrelated to the op question but have you thought about installing the John guest push to connect fittings on your dos to alleviate the air problem? They work out very well.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than sound, size and cost, the dos units are reliable and robust if you are running an apex and can run a usb cable to each tank. For me the major selling point back when I got them was the auto water change capability and I figured if I got one for that I may as well get more for dosing and stay within the apex world. I’m happy with my kamoer peristaltic pump but have no experience with their dosers. I’ve been happy with Simplicity products which are really Jebao but with great customer service, support and warranty.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The Apex DOS is obnoxiously loud. I can hear this thing several rooms away

The Versa on the other hand is ninja silent. Mobius has been working great since their last update.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex DOS is obnoxiously loud. I can hear this thing several rooms away

The Versa on the other hand is ninja silent. Mobius has been working great since their last update.
No joke about the sound level! I’ve been waiting for someone to come up with a 3d printed sound deadening housing or a sound proof enclosure for multiple dos units.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RedSea 4 head dozer since it first came out (literally got when they arrived at my LFS) and no problems. But to be fair, I don’t focus on recalibrating as long as my numbers (Trident) look OK, so I can’t comment on whether it has remained calibrated or not.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an Apex and DOS, but only use the DOS for water changes. I have a RedSea ReefDose4 which I like very much. There were initial issues with WiFi connection and they (eventually) replaced the base unit. Other than that, it has been a good system for me (Alk, Ca, Mg and Part C). I also have a Bubble Magus one head doser for PO4 and use Kamoer X1 Pro pumps for ATO. I would not purchase the X1 Pros again, but would try the F1 (bluetooth and WiFi) as I have had issues with the X1 Pro connecting to their servers.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Apex has been horrible, horrible service and support, defective hardware. But I was happy with the DOS when my base unit worked.

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had ReefDose4 for over a year, I am very satisfied, quiet, accurate, but it turned out with mobius when setting it up. But then, when everything is understood, everything goes well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back