Dosing all for reef and 0 nitrate and 0 phosphates

  • Thread starter Thread starter plexx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I would feed more or dose N and P which are inexpensive and easy. NP+ may be a fine product, but as a general rule I do not generally recommend product with unknown ingredients. Also, tieing the N and P dosing together gives you less control.

For N, I think ammonium bicarbonate is best, but ammonium chloride, calcium nitrate and sodium nitrate are all acceptable.

For phosphate I recommend sodium phosphate of various forms (not sodium tripolyphosphate).
Interestingly enough I accidentally bought a ton of Ammonium Chloride when I was first starting. I got it to start a fishless cycle not knowing just how big this container is. I have used maybe 1 tiny scoop out of this. What dose should I shoot for with this as its pretty potent stuff:
61R+DlQ3c0L._AC_SX466_.jpg
 
Interestingly enough I accidentally bought a ton of Ammonium Chloride when I was first starting. I got it to start a fishless cycle not knowing just how big this container is. I have used maybe 1 tiny scoop out of this. What dose should I shoot for with this as its pretty potent stuff:
61R+DlQ3c0L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Since you have it, it is probably fine, but in general I recommend food grade products and this one is likely not intended for regular use (as opposed to one time cycling) so may not be as pure.

Here’s the recipe thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-ammonia-dosing-for-low-nitrate-systems.987087/
 
I went from my nutrient tanking to getting record high nitrate and phosphate. I was dosing plus NP previously, and switched to bacto balance as suggested by my LFS, but I have stopped dosing both after seeing my nitrate and phos rise. Its been about 2-3 weeks since Ive stopped dosing anything and even with a large water change, my nitrate rose up to 25+ppm and phos peaked at 0.13 and dropping back down to 0.01 last night.

Everything is still growing nicely in my tank tho and needing to constantly bump up my AFR dosage as my corals sucks them up. Weird about the nitrate and phosphate levels tho.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new