Dosing all for reef and 0 nitrate and 0 phosphates

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small "clarification"... It is currently theorized, that much (not all) of the metabolization of the formate is done by bacteria located within the coral polyps. While other amounts happen in the substrate, coral structure and other areas within the tank system. Not to imply that the metabolization is done by the coral polyp itself. :)

Thanks, Lou. :)

capt_alaver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I want to chime in with my All-For-Reef experience on a 2.6g Pico Reef --- for the Googlers.

It was lightly stocked with a cleaner shrimp, a couple of hermits & emeralds, softies, lots of LPS and a few SPS corals. Filtration included... nothing lol. Just sand, rocks, a couple of MarinePure Gems and the occasional bag of BRS carbon. Nitrates were ~5ppm and Phosphates were 0.03-0.05ppm.

Weekly water changes weren't keeping up with the Ca/Alk demand anymore so I started dosing the system with AFR. Nitrates and Phosphates completely bottomed out. I started feeding a stupid amount of food but NO3 and PO4 still didn't budge from zero.

I bought NeoPhos and NeoNitro and started the daily dosing. It was pretty alarming how fast those nutrients were being consumed! 5ppm of NO3 and 0.10ppm of PO4 dosed in the morning, they were both zero by dinner time. At my wits end with it, I gave up on AFR and will be using 2-part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I want to chime in with my All-For-Reef experience on a 2.6g Pico Reef --- for the Googlers.

It was lightly stocked with a cleaner shrimp, a couple of hermits & emeralds, softies, lots of LPS and a few SPS corals. Filtration included... nothing lol. Just sand, rocks, a couple of MarinePure Gems and the occasional bag of BRS carbon. Nitrates were ~5ppm and Phosphates were 0.03-0.05ppm.

Weekly water changes weren't keeping up with the Ca/Alk demand anymore so I started dosing the system with AFR. Nitrates and Phosphates completely bottomed out. I started feeding a stupid amount of food but NO3 and PO4 still didn't budge from zero.

I bought NeoPhos and NeoNitro and started the daily dosing. It was pretty alarming how fast those nutrients were being consumed! 5ppm of NO3 and 0.10ppm of PO4 dosed in the morning, they were both zero by dinner time. At my wits end with it, I gave up on AFR and will be using 2-part.

Ok, keep us updated on whether the nutrient levels change switching to a two part.

FWIW, once phosphate hits zero it can take a lot to bring it back, even with no biological consumption, since it will bind to rock and sand.

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting find (Yes, I am a Googler :)). I have been running All-for-Reef since March 2021 on a 65 Gallon Mixed Reef (JBJ 65 AIO with a hang-on the back overflow to a 25 gallon Fiji Cube sump). Running mechanical, skimmer, and a small fuge (12 hours). I always had 0 Phospates and 0 Nitrates. I thought the filtration is doing an awesome job, until I noticed some of my LPS corals aren't doing that great. Candy Cane colony wasn't puffing up that much, but still has growth. Lobo turned brown despite having 70 to 100 PAR on the sandbed. 3 months ago, got a nice Trachy and that started to not puff up as well. I feed 2x with Hikari Mega Marine (day) and Hikari pellets (night). Daytime 1x Red Sea AB+, 1x Reef Roids, 1x Nori. Still 0 Phosphates and Nitrates.

I was actually looking at ways to increase Nitrates, and got me to this thread as I was looking into NeoNitro. But the OP and some other threads here is about the relationship of dosing All for Reef. I was about to load up on the powder mix as I am running out of my DIY kit, but am reconsidering.

For my test kits, I started with Salifert. Now, moved up to Hanna ULR Phosphate and HR Nitrate.

I know every reef tank is different, and at this point, don't really want a ULN reef tank as I am planning to stock up on more LPS brain and scoly type corals. I understand that up to 1 ppm of Phosphates and 5 ppm of Nitrates is generally ideal (even up to 20 ppm of Nitrates).

Last edited:

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting find (Yes, I am a Googler :)). I have been running All-for-Reef since March 2021 on a 65 Gallon Mixed Reef (JBJ 65 AIO with a hang-on the back overflow to a 25 gallon Fiji Cube sump). Running mechanical, skimmer, and a small fuge (12 hours). I always had 0 Phospates and 0 Nitrates. I thought the filtration is doing an awesome job, until I noticed some of my LPS corals aren't doing that great. Candy Cane colony wasn't puffing up that much, but still has growth. Lobo turned brown despite having 70 to 100 PAR on the sandbed. 3 months ago, got a nice Trachy and that started to not puff up as well. I feed 2x with Hikari Mega Marine (day) and Hikari pellets (night). Daytime 1x Red Sea AB+, 1x Reef Roids, 1x Nori. Still 0 Phosphates and Nitrates.

I was actually looking at ways to increase Nitrates, and got me to this thread as I was looking into NeoNitro. But the OP and some other threads here is about the relationship of dosing All for Reef. I was about to load up on the powder mix as I am running out of my DIY kit, but am reconsidering.

For my test kits, I started with Salifert. Now, moved up to Hanna ULR Phosphate and HR Nitrate.

I know every reef tank is different, and at this point, don't really want a ULN reef tank as I am planning to stock up on more LPS brain and scoly type corals. I understand that up to 1 ppm of Phosphates and 5 ppm of Nitrates is generally ideal (even up to 20 ppm of Nitrates).

You can also try heavy in...as you may already have heavy out. Get a larger bioload of fish and critters and/or increase feedings. Wet/Frozen in lower in PO4 while dry is heavier in PO4.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So are you implying that dosing AFR is reduced your phosphate? In my use case I can say TM AFR does not reduce either (nitrate or phosphate). My phosphate is over .61 ppm and my AFR dosing varies but usually around 90 ml/day.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think up to 1 ppm is a good idea, i know there are some wonderful exemptions of tanks running high phosphates but I know hundreds tanks that crashed at this levels.
And for sure there are no benefits for running tanks above 0.1 ppm phosphates, the fact some very experienced reefers could run tanks with these numbers is not a reason to go there IMO.

Running a refugium and a carbon source (which AFR is even it is weak one) in the same time is not good idea and easily can led to zero nutrients, the trace elements in AFR could also help for this to happen.

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think up to 1 ppm is a good idea, i know there are some wonderful exemptions of tanks running high phosphates but I know hundreds tanks that crashed at this levels.
And for sure there are no benefits for running tanks above 0.1 ppm phosphates, the fact some very experienced reefers could run tanks with these numbers is not a reason to go there IMO.

Running a refugium and a carbon source (which AFR is even it is weak one) in the same time is not good idea and easily can led to zero nutrients, the trace elements in AFR could also help for this to happen.
Yes, up to .1 PPM Phosphates -- Thanks for correcting me.

The refugium point that you made does makes sense. I don't know how much it can help, but I just started turning-off my skimmer in the evening (6 p.m. to 6 a.m.), while the Refugium light covers that duration at night (12 hours). So far, almost a week doing this method, the only swing is my PH from 8.10 to 7.93.

AFR does maintain my parameters, and that was my intention when it was introduced to us reefers. I only have one X1 doser, 17ml day to maintain the below parameters:

Mag 1470
Calc 490
Alk 10

Temp is 77.7
Salinity 1.025
Nitrates 0 to .1 (based on Hanna HR)
Phosphates 0.03 (based on Hanna ULR)
PH 8.10 to 7.93 (swing due to scheduled skimmer and refugium light)

Pics attached to see my setup. All corals and fishes are alive, but started being concerned due to LPS coloration despite my efforts.

Any help is really appreciated -- for this expensive hobby :)

Display.jpg Display_RightSide.jpg Display_LeftSide.jpg Sump.jpg

Last edited:

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank full of life and looks mature Thanks for the pictures. I don’t think stopping the skimmer during the night is good idea. With that number of corals it can be very dangerous all of them need oxygen. Not sure where fuge is on the picture. is it on the left side of the sump? But in any case I don’t think it would be sufficient to cover oxygen needs for all your fish and coral during night hours.
I don’t think you need refugium in this full of life and mature tank. I would slowly start to reduce light and amount of chaeto. And definitely start feeding more with coral food you have so many big softies and LPS they will be so happy. And increase your fish numbers if you feel comfortable.
17 ml of AFR is a small dose as carbon source and is not the reason for the low nutrients. Your corals are the reason so feed them more: ) and they will be happy.
but don’t do anything fast and extreme (like stopping skimmer overnight)

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@biom - Thanks for all your inputs and advises. The fluctuation on PH is not good as well so ensure skimmer is kept operational at all times.

@arking_mark - In my reef tank / situation, I am going to just accept that I need to increase feeding AND that I have a too "good" of a nutrient export in-place.

@areefer01 - I believe this thread is mostly the relationship with AFR to possibly reduction of Phosphates and Nitrates (not confirmed).

Thanks to all.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@areefer01 - I believe this thread is mostly the relationship with AFR to possibly reduction of Phosphates and Nitrates (not confirmed).

Thanks for the clarification. I can only speak for my usage of AFR but I've never seen a reduction in either nitrate or phosphate with the product.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification. I can only speak for my usage of AFR but I've never seen a reduction in either nitrate or phosphate with the product.

It's just that AFR provides a mild carbon source for the tank...carbon dosing helps reduce nitrates and some uptake of phosphates.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just that AFR provides a mild carbon source for the tank...carbon dosing helps reduce nitrates and some uptake of phosphates.

I know what AFR does - I was only stating that I've never seen any form of nutrient drop (nitrate or phosphates) when using the product (as it relates to my experience and display). I am not saying that it does, or does not.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what AFR does - I was only stating that I've never seen any form of nutrient drop (nitrate or phosphates) when using the product (as it relates to my experience and display). I am not saying that it does, or does not.
Gotcha.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used AFR for 1.5 years and always struggled with keeping detectable nutrients. Nitrates stayed at 0.0ppm for the entire duration. If I dose nitrates, it will stay at dosed levels for a few days before returning to 0.0ppm. On the positive side, phosphates stayed below 0.08ppm.

Ever since switching to ESV B-Ionic earlier this year, I have ~1.0ppm nitrates with regular feeding. However, I have to run a GFO reactor to keep phosphates under 0.08ppm. My acors look significantly better with much deeper coloration now. With AFR, everything looked a little pale. I will use AFR if I have a future tank that naturally stays at elevated nutrient levels. It is a no-go for me when dealing with a tank that stays at low nutrient levels.

Back