Dosing amounts

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I have been dosing just alk for months which little to no change in calcium… well turns out my tester wasn’t working good. Did some digging and found out I should be dosing calcium along with alk. Using the brs 2 part soda ash/ calc chloride…. My question now is about mag. Should I be daily dosing mag along with the calcium/ alk? Weekly ? Or just on an as needed basis? I have an extra dosing head I can set up as well as my tank is using mag too

dosing 30 ml of the soda ash / calcium spread out over 8 doses per day each.
Know stability is key in them. Wondering if mag should be kept up with daily as well, and if so is there a certain amount of the brs mag solution I should be dosing daily to keep up with my 30ml/day alk consumption

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I have been dosing just alk for months which little to no change in calcium… well turns out my tester wasn’t working good. Did some digging and found out I should be dosing calcium along with alk. Using the brs 2 part soda ash/ calc chloride…. My question now is about mag. Should I be daily dosing mag along with the calcium/ alk? Weekly ? Or just on an as needed basis? I have an extra dosing head I can set up as well as my tank is using mag too

Know stability is key in them. Wondering if mag should be kept up with daily as well, and if so is there a certain amount of the brs mag solution I should be dosing daily to keep up with my 30ml/day alk consumption
You can use this calculator. Just be sure to select your appropriate water volume and type of solution.

Mag can be dosed daily but it will be a much, much lower amount vs 2 part alk and cal.

The aquarium wont mind if you are dosing weekly but your element stability might.

Digital timers work great for automating this.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link which might help:
I switched to Balling part C dosing for magnesium, which I do daily, but before that I was using Randy’s recipe and dosing it once a week. Even that was often too frequent and I had to skip some doses.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would dose the mag part 3 at the recommended rate in relation to the calcium dosing, regardless of the apparent "need", unless magnesium is already too high. Once a week is plenty often enough for the mag part.

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator. Just be sure to select your appropriate water volume and type of solution.

Mag can be dosed daily but it will be a much, much lower amount vs 2 part alk and cal.

The aquarium wont mind if you are dosing weekly but your element stability might.

Digital timers work great for automating
I would dose the mag part 3 at the recommended rate in relation to the calcium dosing, regardless of the apparent "need", unless magnesium is already too high. Once a week is plenty often enough for the mag part.
Thank you! That’s what I was curious about is what the recommended rate was. Was super low on mag and got it where it need to be now just need to figure out the rate at which to keep it stable now. Thanks for your time

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some digging and found your recipes!!! I’ll get it figured out from there. Thank you

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That’s what I was curious about is what the recommended rate was. Was super low on mag and got it where it need to be now just need to figure out the rate at which to keep it stable now. Thanks for your time
You can do this after you hit your target level. test mag 7 days after you reach your desired ppm and divide the result by 7. That number will be your daily magnesium uptake.

I would test a few times to make sure its accurate.

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need more help, just pop back!
So reading through that write up I’m using your recipe number one.
tank is 150 gallons ish water. 175 total

i am dosing 30 ml of alk daily. 30 ml of calcium daily and both those numbers seem pretty steady ( was just dosing alk for last few months, as I had some bad test kits. Hanna for calcium and mag and both numbers showed crazy high and never came down) using salifert/ mag and Red Sea for calcium now calcium was around 300 and mag was around 1200. Brought those numbers up to 420/1400
Was only dosing 18ml alk solution for a long time. Addition of calcium bumped up alk usage a considerable amount.

Anyway what ratio should I be dosing mag as a-pose to the other 2? I read to make adjustments after a gallon of the other solutions were used up but feel that would be a long time between adjustments. Should I just figure out how much my tank is consuming every week and go that route? Or is there a specific ratio like 30ml of the first solutions to 1 ml of mag?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So reading through that write up I’m using your recipe number one.
tank is 150 gallons ish water. 175 total

i am dosing 30 ml of alk daily. 30 ml of calcium daily and both those numbers seem pretty steady ( was just dosing alk for last few months, as I had some bad test kits. Hanna for calcium and mag and both numbers showed crazy high and never came down) using salifert/ mag and Red Sea for calcium now calcium was around 300 and mag was around 1200. Brought those numbers up to 420/1400
Was only dosing 18ml alk solution for a long time. Addition of calcium bumped up alk usage a considerable amount.

Anyway what ratio should I be dosing mag as a-pose to the other 2? I read to make adjustments after a gallon of the other solutions were used up but feel that would be a long time between adjustments. Should I just figure out how much my tank is consuming every week and go that route? Or is there a specific ratio like 30ml of the first solutions to 1 ml of mag?
It will vary but last i calculated, mag uptake was 1/6th the usage of my alk and calcium.

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!!! Appreciate it!
And that’s with the brs solutions/ Randy’s recipe? I can figure out my daily consumption of mag and all that I just was more curious if there was a standard set amout I should be using relative to the alk/ calc consumption….. just as calcium to alkalinity is 1/1 with this recipe… Or just figure my personal daily consumption of mag and just dose according to that. I guess I just wanted to know if there’s a certain ratio I should be using relative to what I am using. more so to just make sure everything is getting consumed as it should.if that makes sense? Lol starting to make my own head hurt rereading this

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t try to figure it by measurement. Much too noisy.

The mag part is dosed 610 mL per gallon 3785 mL) of the calcium part, or 1 ml of mag part per 6.2 mL if the calcium part.

610 mL of the mag part in 175 gallons only boosts mag by 43 ppm. It definitely does not need to be dosed daily.

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t try to figure it by measurement. Much too noisy.

The mag part is dosed 610 mL per gallon 3785 mL) of the calcium part, or 1 ml of mag part per 6.2 mL if the calcium part.

610 mL of the mag part in 175 gallons only boosts mag by 43 ppm. It definitely does not need to be dosed daily.
Thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your time

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back