Dosing an upgrade SPS tank

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone, I just finished setting up my new tank, I intend on moving all of my SPS from my 20 gallon nano tank to this tank which is roughly 70 gallons. On my nano tank I am dosing 12 ml Alk and 12 ml Calcium daily, once I move all my SPS over to my new tank should I continue dosing that same amount to the new tank, or is the consumption value going to go down? My nano is going to be a softie/lps tank once I move out all the sps so I won’t be dosing that one anymore. Thank you for the help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just finished setting up my new tank, I intend on moving all of my SPS from my 20 gallon nano tank to this tank which is roughly 70 gallons. On my nano tank I am dosing 12 ml Alk and 12 ml Calcium daily, once I move all my SPS over to my new tank should I continue dosing that same amount to the new tank, or is the consumption value going to go down? My nano is going to be a softie/lps tank once I move out all the sps so I won’t be dosing that one anymore. Thank you for the help!

The volume change itself does not alter the amount that needs to be dosed, but the move may upset the corals and other organisms and there may be a lag period while they settle in, and during that time they may use less alkalinity.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volume change itself does not alter the amount that needs to be dosed, but the move may upset the corals and other organisms and there may be a lag period while they settle in, and during that time they may use less alkalinity.
I just went through this. I upgraded tanks, moved everything over and continued dosing the same amounts of everything. Alk went from 8.5 - 9.3

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded about 8 months ago. For the first month or so growth really slowed and consumption went down about 30%, probably a little more the first week. You may want to start with half as much as you are currently dosing and just monitor alk 1-2 times per day till things settle in.

I will say that shortly after everything settled in consumption skyrocketed for a period of time as corolline started to take off.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back