dosing clacium and alk

gasperagnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am brand new at reefing. I currently set up a new 180 reef tank. All apex equipment. The tank is fully cycled and I have added fish to get these going. I want to start adding soft corals and I am being told by the local LFS that I need get my water chemistry in place before I start adding corals. My current levels are as follows: alk=7.73--- cal=432 and Magnesium=1283..... Nitrates are around 10-15ppm..... I have begun dosing to try to get my parameters somewhat level. The issue I am having is that when hit my target parameters of alk=8.5---cal=480 and magnesium 1350 it drops immediately. I can't figure out how much to do daily to maintain those numbers. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameter you posted initially were in an acceptable range. Soft corals are not going to really require much of any dosing. Don’t try to chase parameters. Alk 7 or higher calcium 380-450 mag at 1250 is fine and should not have to replenish this too often. Your nitrate is fine. Your tank finds its own equilibrium. I don’t know your discussion with the fish store but your parameters initially were completely fine and don’t need to be tampered with. Moving forward if double check any info you receive from them.

OP
OP
G

gasperagnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameter you posted initially were in an acceptable range. Soft corals are not going to really require much of any dosing. Don’t try to chase parameters. Alk 7 or higher calcium 380-450 mag at 1250 is fine and should not have to replenish this too often. Your nitrate is fine. Your tank finds its own equilibrium. I don’t know your discussion with the fish store but your parameters initially were completely fine and don’t need to be tampered with. Moving forward if double check any info you receive from them.
will do thank you

Back