Dosing container hole?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am going to be dosing out of a container, doesnt that container need some small whole to allow air in for pressure?

Do all the commercial dosing containers have there holes, on some I just see push to connect for tubing but some images are not great online and I could be missing it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air in is needed if the tubing line going out is tight to the lid and the lid is tight to the container. If so, the dosing pump would have to overcome the vacuum created inside the container to allow fluid to flow. Thus, a air hole is there to keep this condition from happening.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air in is needed if the tubing line going out is tight to the lid and the lid is tight to the container. If so, the dosing pump would have to overcome the vacuum created inside the container to allow fluid to flow. Thus, a air hole is there to keep this condition from happening.
Can a loose lid let in air that easily?

I suppose if the hole for the tubing were a slightly wider diameter I could see that.

Thanks!

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that I have used checkvalves in the past to solve. I seal the dosing container tight and add another 1/4" push bulkhead with a checkvalve in it that only allows air into the dosing container and use the vacuum created by the dosing pump removing additive to crack the seal of the checkvalve. Once the dosing container has equalized the check valve closes and the dosing container is again air tight. This prevents evaporation losses by not allowing vapor to escape.

I have a bunch of Red Sea Coral Colour bottles lined up right now using the builtin dosing hookup on the bottle with the lids slightly unscrewed as per the manufacturer's direction, but it is like nails on a chalk board to me. At the rate I am dosing, the bottles would last a year or more, so evaporation is probably a bigger effect on the level than my dosing. At some point I will figure out how to fit a checkvalve on the RS bottles and be able to sleep again at night :D

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LadyTang2 @Flippers4pups @Dennis Cartier I’m coming back to an old thread. So it sounds like you need an air hole or some other say of letting air in as fluid comes out of the dosing container.

I’m planning to use glass Voss water bottles with bulkhead fittings for the tubing. If I can’t drill a small air hole into the cap because of the size of the fitting do you think leaving the fitting slightly loose (spin freely) would be enough of a gap for air to get into the container? I suppose I could just leak test it and if water comes out the air will get in?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Passgad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that I have used checkvalves in the past to solve. I seal the dosing container tight and add another 1/4" push bulkhead with a checkvalve in it that only allows air into the dosing container and use the vacuum created by the dosing pump removing additive to crack the seal of the checkvalve. Once the dosing container has equalized the check valve closes and the dosing container is again air tight. This prevents evaporation losses by not allowing vapor to escape.

I have a bunch of Red Sea Coral Colour bottles lined up right now using the builtin dosing hookup on the bottle with the lids slightly unscrewed as per the manufacturer's direction, but it is like nails on a chalk board to me. At the rate I am dosing, the bottles would last a year or more, so evaporation is probably a bigger effect on the level than my dosing. At some point I will figure out how to fit a checkvalve on the RS bottles and be able to sleep again at night :D
How did you figure out how to fit a checkvalve on the RS bottles? Do you have some pics please?

biojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not mine but one way is like the below

1708855557033.png

on the newer black bottles you wouldnt have the bulkhead so could potentially fit on cap too

For me I use a food tight container, hard plastic pipe and silicone tube then cable glands

1708855818386.png

They help keep the pipe straight for the pump side, and on the air inline the checkvale with a bit of tube fits neatly inside it

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am going to be dosing out of a container, doesnt that container need some small whole to allow air in for pressure?

Do all the commercial dosing containers have there holes, on some I just see push to connect for tubing but some images are not great online and I could be missing it.
Drill a 1/16” Hole in the Cap. The 1/8” Inside Diameter Tubings on your Doser, isn’t going to be able to pull a vacuum with that size hole. 1/16” isn’t going to add enough Evaporation to matter.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back