Dosing Disodium Phosphate

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some huge WC as soon as possible - but during some days.

Where have you got the idea to add 3 tablespoons directly into the sump? It has not been mention - as I know - here in R2R. If you read the other thread you have hashtagged reef squad you will find a recipe that works. It also says that of this stock solution - 1 ml to 100 L will rise the PO4 concentration with around 0.02 mg/L. If you have 500 L - 5 ml will rise the concentration with 0.02 mg/L - it could not be more clear. Do a stock solution and dose carefully from that.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some huge WC as soon as possible - but during some days.

Where have you got the idea to add 3 tablespoons directly into the sump? It has not been mention - as I know - here in R2R. If you read the other thread you have hashtagged reef squad you will find a recipe that works. It also says that of this stock solution - 1 ml to 100 L will rise the PO4 concentration with around 0.02 mg/L. If you have 500 L - 5 ml will rise the concentration with 0.02 mg/L - it could not be more clear. Do a stock solution and dose carefully from that.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks- I dont know I just got so confused with all of the technical wording that somehow I just missed the "clarity". I got the 3 table spoons to 250 ml of rodi water from the calculator that Randy posted.
According to the calculator I have 125ppm of phosphates. LOL omg. I dont have ay more salt left- I used an entire bucket of that I had left. Which is only good for 24 gallons of a water change. The system is 91 gallons.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a WC with what you have - get new salt ASAP and do some 50 - 60 % during the following week. If you have GFO os AL phosphate remover - use that and change every day. If you have a liquid La based remover - use it very, very carefully. If you have a 50 or 100 µ sock - let the water go through that - drop (DROP) a few drops in the ingoing water (ingoing to the sock) - wait - drop some more drops - wait. Clean the sock - start again. Do not drop liquid based La direct in the DT water or in the sump. The precipitation that follow the drops should be removed ASAP and do not let i come out in the DT water.

La = lanthanum chloride

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a WC with what you have - get new salt ASAP and do some 50 - 60 % during the following week. If you have GFO os AL phosphate remover - use that and change every day. If you have a liquid La based remover - use it very, very carefully. If you have a 50 or 100 µ sock - let the water go through that - drop (DROP) a few drops in the ingoing water (ingoing to the sock) - wait - drop some more drops - wait. Clean the sock - start again. Do not drop liquid based La direct in the DT water or in the sump. The precipitation that follow the drops should be removed ASAP and do not let i come out in the DT water.

La = lanthanum chloride

Sincerely Lasse
ON IT- I have po4 cubes by Brightwell.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ON IT- I have po4 cubes by Brightwell.
The system is 91 gallons

According to Brightwell 1 g of these cubes can take away 30 - 100 mg phosphate. I´m not familiar with this product but let us have this as an example-

Are your water volume 90 gallons or it is the size of the system? It is easy to calculate if you know the water volume. Calculate your real water volume in gallon - convert that to liter. Your calculation of concentration says 125 ppm = 125 mg/L. Multiply this 125 with your water volume in Liter and you will get the total amount of PO4 in your system in mg. Divide this with 30 mg and you get the maximum gramme Brightwell media you need. Divide it with 100 you get the minimum amount you need

Let us say you have 250 L (66 G) of water with 125 mg/L - total is 3 000 mg total amount of PO4 (3 g)
Minimum absorption of the cubes 30 mg/g - you need 1000 g in order to remove all. Maximum absorption rate 100 mg/g - you need 300 g of PO4 cubes

Follow the instructions but in your case - you need to remove it rather fast I would (I have no experiences of this .- it could be wrong) calculate how much I need in grams to remove nearly all and take 20 % of this the first day. Doing the WC first. Change to new media after one or two days - and so on. Please contact Brightwell and ask for instructions in this case.

But get salt and do WC too.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of your help. Now I have a new dilemma. I took out too much water and done have enough to run the pump. Im such an idiot. lol. I need sleep at this point. Im not thinking clear anymore. Ive been up all night trying to fix this and I have work in a few hours.

Last edited:

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above won't be a hundred percent change so be careful.

If we take 120ppm and do a 50% that will bring you to 60
Then 25% will be 45
Then another 25% will bring it to 33.75ppm

So you need to either use LaCl or big water changes, like multiple 90%+ changes
Even then you're still looking at LaCl in the future or buckets of gfo.

Good luck!!

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s to late now , but I would r have done a 100% water change on the first day . I herd of a person who made the new water 1-2 degrees colder then the aquarium. They turned off everything and pumped the new water into the bottom of the aquarium. And drained from the sump . But me I’d drained everything until the fish were laying on the sand . That’s a lot of work. And few of us keep that much RO and salt mix laying around. I hope you don’t loss anything.

Back