Dosing Equipment Suggestions

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few random questions about your experiences with dosing systems, as well as tubing, and containers. I presently dose Aquaforest 1+2+3 and plan to continue that. I have two Neptune DOS units dedicated to the job, leaving a fourth head free.

I will be running the tubing from my “fish closet” through a wall to the sump.

1. What is the best tubing material? I have a silicone sort of tubing now and find it kinks too easy. I don’t like the DOS tubing as it is stiff and hard to route. Options I have considered are 1/4” RO tubing and airline tubing. Is there a suitable thin piping that could be used?

2. I prefer to use the large purple Aquaforest jugs that the pre-mix comes in as the reservoir but am open to suggestions. I tried to make a cap with push fitting bulkhead and a feeder tube for the jugs but it never seemed to reliably pull the liquid, so I swapped to just a tube stuck through a hole in the cap…not the elegant solution my OCD prefers. Advice?

3. Should the jugs be higher than, lower than, or level with the dosers?

4. What is the maximum run in inches/feet one can use a DOS for?

5. What is the best practice to calibrate the units and then “pre-fill” the tubing so it doesn’t take three days to get through the new lines to the tank?

6. Any other tips?

Thanks in advance..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Silicone tubing and lower height doesn’t matter. Tap through the cap and 6-8ft run is typical
Jebao, bubble magnus and apex DOS have been good dosers for me
GHL if you have a good budget

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back