Dosing help needed

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
So I have a waterbox mini 25 pen and I’m using brightwell neo saltwater (from lfs), my calcium is always around 360-375, Alk is 8.2 and mag 1290, pH 8.1. I’m using salifert tests…the tank it’s been running for a month (already cycled), I have a few corals and they are looking good but even after water changes I get the same parameters, so I’m considering on dosing calcium, but not sure if Alk and Mag might be needed….I guess I could use the BRS pharma so I can dose individually as needed, any other recommendations?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
So I have a waterbox mini 25 pen and I’m using brightwell neo saltwater (from lfs), my calcium is always around 360-375, Alk is 8.2 and mag 1290, pH 8.1. I’m using salifert tests…the tank it’s been running for a month (already cycled), I have a few corals and they are looking good but even after water changes I get the same parameters, so I’m considering on dosing calcium, but not sure if Alk and Mag might be needed….I guess I could use the BRS pharma so I can dose individually as needed, any other recommendations?
Those numbers are not so bad as is. Yes brs 2 part can be used separate if you would like to adjust any of the 3. Maybe raise mag a little aswell

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Also check your salinity. If you are lower then 1.026 raising it to this will also raise all 3. What is your salinity?

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I'd also like a dosage for a 120. To keep lower ph

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.024
So now do you understand what I’m saying ? If you raised your salinity to 1.026 which is what most people keep reef tanks at then your alk,cal, and mag will be naturally higher. And most likely with just water changes alone you can keep it there

OP
OP
S

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now do you understand what I’m saying ? If you raised your salinity to 1.026 which is what most people keep reef tanks at then your alk,cal, and mag will be naturally higher. And most likely with just water changes alone you can keep it there
Ok so better to just add more salt to premixed lfs water or use saltwater for top offs for a few days and test daily?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Looks like you said neo salt from lfs so I assume it’s pre mixed. Well lfs do that to save money. Most the time they keep there fish at even lower salinity to save on the salt. At 1.024 will not hurt anything but does put extra money in there pocket while leaving you with lower then desired perimeters. Best way to go is mix your own salt so you can ensure proper salinity

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so better to just add more salt to premixed lfs water or use saltwater for top offs for a few days and test daily?
Yes you could buy salt and doctor up the pre mix from lfs but that is not most cost effective. To buy your own salt and make rodi and mix your own would be cheapest

OP
OP
S

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you said neo salt from lfs so I assume it’s pre mixed. Well lfs do that to save money. Most the time they keep there fish at even lower salinity to save on the salt. At 1.024 will not hurt anything but does put extra money in there pocket while leaving you with lower then desired perimeters. Best way to go is mix your own salt so you can ensure proper salinity
Yeah already ordered a Rodi 5 stage unit so I can make my own…but won’t be here till next week

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah already ordered a Rodi 5 stage unit so I can make my own…but won’t be here till next week
40-50 gallon brute trash cans from Home Depot seem to be the cheap route that a lot take if you don’t want to spend the big money on the roto tanks or whatever.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 120g saltwater tank and what's the ratio of salt to water to add? If that's clear enough lol
Lol yes now I get that. I’m sorry just never set one up like that cause it always takes multiple mixed containers for me. Again I would just fill water in largest containers I have and add salt with a mixing pump and after couple hours check salinity. How ever you do it even if you get an answer from someone for this you still need to double check before adding to tank. And most likely this info is stated on the packaging of the salt

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of thoughts on dosing:
  • You should match your target parameters to your salt mix so water changes keep your parameters stable
  • You should only dose things you are measuring based on actual consumption
  • Ca/Alk are consumed almost balanced...so you should target balanced dosing
  • Dosing pH buffers will unbalanced your tank

OP
OP
S

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40-50 gallon brute trash cans from Home Depot seem to be the cheap route that a lot take if you don’t want to spend the big money on the roto tanks or whatever.
Already got it! Even got the wheels for it…if it works….got a 300w heater and a Tunze turbelle 6045 for mixing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back