4 kg live rock
hob filter
Cheap Amazon powerhead

possible stocking
yellow head jawfish
designer clown
swissguard basslet

possible corals
mostly lps like torch, hammers, Trachys, blastos, acans, scolds and lobos as well as some softies like mushrooms, zoas and a gsp rock, and maybe some harder corals like sun corals, montis and birds nest

questions
What to dose?
How much to dose?
Which brand to dose?
Will I need a dosing pump?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't dose until your testing shows that the coral is using more than can be replaced by water changes. In a 20 gallon, you likely will be able to get by with no dosing for quite a while, and may never need it, depending on your salt mix parameters and your water change schedule.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I will, but if I need to dose (which will be likely considering my stocking) what brand?
Really too early to say. Wait until you have a need and then look into the "best" fit for your situation.

And again, it's not a forgone conclusion that you'll even need to dose. No reason to buy things that your tank doesn't need but you might be tempted to use just because... Save that $$ for quality equipment.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch and observe. In fact, you may need > 1 year of running before things dial in to where you are confident you need to dose anything.
I am starting my own 20g at the moment after tearing down a 100g. Trust me, I know it is tempting to be “all over it” but really diligent observation and methodical reaction will serve you well. (Don’t ask how I know).

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I wil be using aquafirest reef salt. Question, is it possible to set up a small sump using those cheap little pumps? (No drilling btw

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, with a 20g you will be micro dosing, if at all with water changes. I'm talking AFR less than 5 ml daily, Trace elements less than .06 ml daily, etc. If you need to dose it is easy enough to do by hand with feeding syringes. I usually do it while I am feeding in the back of the tank (AIO) or sump.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, with a 20g you will be micro dosing, if at all with water changes. I'm talking AFR less than 5 ml daily, Trace elements less than .06 ml daily, etc. If you need to dose it is easy enough to do by hand with feeding syringes. I usually do it while I am feeding in the back of the tank (AIO) or sump.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I wil be using aquafirest reef salt. Question, is it possible to set up a small sump using those cheap little pumps? (No drilling btw
An external sump requires either a drilled tank or a hang on back siphon overflow(or put sump above tank in which case it requires a drilled sump)

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wait you don’t get it, I meant taking 2 pumps like the one in this photo and using tubing to direct water down to the sump and up. It will have a hob, heater and a refugium with live rock,Chaeto,crabs,shrimp, and a snail.

DF79C8F4-BFF6-4AE0-B402-77184A01CA82.jpeg

Last edited:

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A drilled tank with built in overflow, or a hang on overflow can break the siphon from the display to the sump. Your suggested two pump solution will not prevent the display from overflowing the sump in a power outage scenario.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if the electricity goes out, won’t the pumps go out too? I’m not gonna use the usb ones btw.
It will be nearly impossible to do this successfully long term, and if the power goes out, the siphon effect will draw water down to your sump and overflow it.
You'd be better served by waiting until you can afford an AIO or a drilled tank with a proper sump... Lots of gently used stuff out there.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try this, as over here power outages are like 1 in a million and if they do happen, they warn us beforehand so I can simply remove the pump. I don’t mean to be ignorant I’m just curious to see if this will work.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if the electricity goes out, won’t the pumps go out too? I’m not gonna use the usb ones btw.
Yes, the pumps would go out, but this does not affect the siphon. Once started a siphon relies on pressure and gravity. You need a siphon break valve, check valve, or other device to halt the siphon. All of which can/will fail at some point.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the pumps would go out, but this does not affect the siphon. Once started a siphon relies on pressure and gravity. You need a siphon break valve, check valve, or other device to halt the siphon. All of which can/will fail at some point.
A siphon break helps mostly with reverse flow in our applications... If he's already got a pump sending water down to a sump, there's no way to install a siphon break...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try this, as over here power outages are like 1 in a million and if they do happen, they warn us beforehand so I can simply remove the pump. I don’t mean to be ignorant I’m just curious to see if this will work.
It will be next to impossible to get the pumps to balance...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back