Dosing iodine

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Triton came back with a 0 in iodine. I have never dosed iodine and have read mixed results about doing so.

However, I have an orange Montipora that is starting to go white. It's been in my tank for 5 months and hasn't shown any adverse effects from my lights (Kessil 360's at 70%) or water quality. So I'm thinking maybe it's because of the lack of iodine.

Water quality as of yesterday
11.3 dKH
414 ppm CA
1460 ppm Mg
18 ppm Nitrate

With that said, any recommendations on the right type of iodine supplement and test kit for that type of supplement. I understand you need to test for the right type of iodine your dosing so want to make sure I get the right two together.

tgionet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Triton came back with a 0 in iodine. I have never dosed iodine and have read mixed results about doing so.

However, I have an orange Montipora that is starting to go white. It's been in my tank for 5 months and hasn't shown any adverse effects from my lights (Kessil 360's at 70%) or water quality. So I'm thinking maybe it's because of the lack of iodine.

Water quality as of yesterday
11.3 dKH
414 ppm CA
1460 ppm Mg
18 ppm Nitrate

With that said, any recommendations on the right type of iodine supplement and test kit for that type of supplement. I understand you need to test for the right type of iodine your dosing so want to make sure I get the right two together.

I went with the triton iodine myself. And go off of triton tests to tune the dosage

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend experimenting with an iodide supplement, rather than Lugols.

I’m curious if the thinking behind supplements over Lugols. I presume it is because of stability. What form of iodine is in the supplements that makes them preferred?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if the thinking behind supplements over Lugols. I presume it is because of stability. What form of iodine is in the supplements that makes them preferred?

Iodide is a natural, bioavailable form of iodine. It is also the form typically detected by kits.

I2, as in Lugols, is chemically reactive (like ozone).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. So KI would be a better option over I2?

Yes, I prefer KI to I2 as a supplement.

I2 can react with organics and can become incorporated into the organic structure, potentially irritating or damaging organism tissues. For example, it readily reacts with the C=C double bonds in unsaturated lipids, forming iodinated fatty acids:

http://biosiva.50webs.org/lipids.htm

lip14.jpg

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a similar situation as Brien and have decided to start dosing Iodine. I don't know anything about dosing trace elements but from what little I've learned I want to use iodide (KI). Since I am using the Triton ICP testing I thought I might as well use their product but I can't find out what form of Iodine is in their supplement on the Triton or BRS website. Does anyone know type of Iodine in their product?

OP
OP
B

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Brightwell Aquatics LUGOL'S SOLUTION iodine but have yet to start dosing as I need to order the right type of test kit for it.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugols I2 is not recommended as explained above. Kent iodide or anything else that says it's potassium iodide (KI) or sodium iodide (NaI) would be better.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never dosed for it, but mines 0 as well. I do know Seachem makes a reef safe iodide solution.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been a while for this thread, but what iodine solution is recommended for dosing now? Lugol's isn't suitable?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been a while for this thread, but what iodine solution is recommended for dosing now? Lugol's isn't suitable?

suitability is in the eye of the beholder. Many people use Lugols and like the results. I just try to caution folks that the effects they observe may not be due to iodine dosing, but the dosing if a reactive oxidizer.

if iodine dosing is the goal, there’s nothing better than sodium or potassium iodide.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
suitability is in the eye of the beholder. Many people use Lugols and like the results. I just try to caution folks that the effects they observe may not be due to iodine dosing, but the dosing if a reactive oxidizer.

if iodine dosing is the goal, there’s nothing better than sodium or potassium iodide.

I've found potassium iodine on Amazon, and the listing notes it as 10% lab grade, and wondered if that could be used for iodine dosing, and also HOW it would be dosed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back