Dosing iodine

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Triton came back with a 0 in iodine. I have never dosed iodine and have read mixed results about doing so.

However, I have an orange Montipora that is starting to go white. It's been in my tank for 5 months and hasn't shown any adverse effects from my lights (Kessil 360's at 70%) or water quality. So I'm thinking maybe it's because of the lack of iodine.

Water quality as of yesterday
11.3 dKH
414 ppm CA
1460 ppm Mg
18 ppm Nitrate

With that said, any recommendations on the right type of iodine supplement and test kit for that type of supplement. I understand you need to test for the right type of iodine your dosing so want to make sure I get the right two together.

My Triton test came back with low iodine as well. I went with their recommendation and bought their Iodine. We diluted the Iodine with RODI (10:1) and we dose 3.2ml a day. Our tank is ~225g and we're seen great health and growth with our corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton test came back with low iodine as well. I went with their recommendation and bought their Iodine. We diluted the Iodine with RODI (10:1) and we dose 3.2ml a day. Our tank is ~225g and we're seen great health and growth with our corals.

Was growth not great before dosing iodine? Is that all you changed? I didn’t observe any difference dosing iodine or not.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was growth not great before dosing iodine? Is that all you changed? I didn’t observe any difference dosing iodine or not.

It was good, but we’re seeing a ton more growth now. Do I think it was the iodine? Probably not. We started dosing Manganese as well as boron and zinc at the same time. Could be a million different things. But the tank is continuously getting better with growth and coloration, so who am I to argue? lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was good, but we’re seeing a ton more growth now. Do I think it was the iodine? Probably not. We started dosing Manganese as well as boron and zinc at the same time. Could be a million different things. But the tank is continuously getting better with growth and coloration, so who am I to argue? lol

OK, thanks. That sort of info is worth clarifying for folks who read these posts and are deciding if element X is worth dosing. :)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've played around with iodine dosing in my various tanks over the years and just by observation and practice my opinions are:

- Iodine has little if any benefit for SPS and likely LPS. If anything I've seen blue and red digitata lose color and go green / brown after iodine dosing in softie dominant tanks.

- No hardore SPS grower I know personally, and I know a lot of them dose iodine or trace elements. Yet they grow table acropora 2 feet wide.

- I have seen and observed a direct correlation between heavy iodine dozing and dramatic growth and polyp size in softies, especially shrooms and larger palys. Iodine is like steroids for those species.

The biggest drawback to iodine dosing is it can fuel nasty nuisance algae outbreaks, and that's not something I'm willing to risk. Competing algae biomasses are the main problem getting our corals to grow in the fist place.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pure KI (in salts), I’m just moving away from dropping Lugols and going to pop this as a solution on the doser, it’s mainly to see how or if things change for me, as my iodide was always on the low side.
The small increase in dosage will be enough for me to work with to complete my experiment.
Hi , were did you get the KI salts fromhave you got a link as im looking to dose this.Bill

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , were did you get the KI salts fromhave you got a link as im looking to dose this.Bill

FWIW, there are lots of online sources:

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad i found this post I have a issue/question. My sps and ultra maxima are all doing great but my mushrooms, hammers, zoos and my liams clove have major shrinkage ( yup like that Seinfeld episode ). I was told to just add 1 drop of Iodine at night will do the trick, I just came back from Walgreens with a bottle of 10% Povidone Iodine solution i'm guessing this is not what I need? to add to my tank after reading this post. I didn't test for iodine because i never had to test for it never an issue. I started this tank almost 5 years ago using TM Pro these are my par. in my 30gal. breeder
salinity 1.028 after a recent water change normally 1.025
kh 14
cal 400 bumping this up
mag1480 dropping this down
Hannah phos. ULR 15
TIA.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad i found this post I have a issue/question. My sps and ultra maxima are all doing great but my mushrooms, hammers, zoos and my liams clove have major shrinkage ( yup like that Seinfeld episode ). I was told to just add 1 drop of Iodine at night will do the trick, I just came back from Walgreens with a bottle of 10% Povidone Iodine solution i'm guessing this is not what I need? to add to my tank after reading this post. I didn't test for iodine because i never had to test for it never an issue. I started this tank almost 5 years ago using TM Pro these are my par. in my 30gal. breeder
salinity 1.028 after a recent water change normally 1.025
kh 14
cal 400 bumping this up
mag1480 dropping this down
Hannah phos. ULR 15
TIA.

I would never make such a statement (that it would solve your issues since I don't believe it likely), and I would not recommend either Lugols or Povidone iodine for dosing. Those are unnatural forms of iodine that are reactive and will alter the nature of other trace metals in the tank by reacting with the I2.

I recommend iodide dosing if you want to experimentally dose iodine to look for an effect,

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose iodine as a part of the Red Sea trace elements. It says to dose 1ml to every 10ml cal that you dose. From what I understand, Gonis need it also.

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies, I did forget to mention that my water changes are about once a month and my goniopora are also just doing ok/shrinkage. I'll start testing for Iodine, what is a good test kit for this?

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies, I did forget to mention that my water changes are about once a month and my goniopora are also just doing ok/shrinkage. I'll start testing for Iodine, what is a good test kit for this?
Red Sea has a set for the trace elements. There aren't any digital ones that I know of. They kind of suck. Not that it'll be the same, but I dose 2ml daily for my 140gal mixed reef. I have 5 small to midsize gonis. I definitely noticed shrinkage when I slowed my water changing cycle and wasn't dosing iodine. I do water changes monthly or so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we use the Hanna Iodine test kit to test for Iodine?

If you mean the HI718, no. It is checking for a different chemical form than is present in reef tanks. It also doesn't read low enough.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody help me in determining the formula of how much Iodide I would dose to raise my Iodine levels within my system? I have 450 gallons of water and below is the most recent results from an API water test I had done. The first column is my present Iodine levels, the 2nd column is their recommended target level and the last is what's recommended to get to the recommended level.

Iodine13.83 µg/l65.17 µg/l-51.33 µg/l

I have Seachems Reef Iodide and this was off the directions;
Add 1 mL for each 80 L (20 US gallons) daily to raise iodide by 0.10 mg/L

My best guess from looking online as to the symbol that they are using is micro gram per liter and even if that's right I wont do well in trying to figure out conversions/dosing etc- more than likely I will screw something up if not the entire tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-!!!!

Thanks

Back