Dosing Iron to reduce Phosphates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing 10x the amount of Fe that I started with, and I see “zero reduction” in PO4 at this point in time, and everything is exactly the same. No changes.
How much iron is that? It is probably far too small to directly detect iron phosphate precipitation. Folks using that method dose large amounts.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting thread. I have dosed Fe for coral color. I didn't realize there could also be an impact to Phosphate reduction.
Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 8.23.05 AM.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much iron is that? It is probably far too small to directly detect iron phosphate precipitation. Folks using that method dose large amounts.
I’ll have to look at it. I don’t think it’s a lot. A small to moderate amount for a 105/G maybe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting thread. I have dosed Fe for coral color. I didn't realize there could also be an impact to Phosphate reduction.
Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 8.23.05 AM.jpg

You need to dose large amount to have a useful effect. Far more then ordinary iron supplementation.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose large amount to have a useful effect. Far more then ordinary iron supplementation.
True if the gap is large. I am dosing 4ML daily (Red Sea Fe) in 900L, keeping me around the 12 ppb range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True if the gap is large. I am dosing 4ML daily (Red Sea Fe) in 900L, keeping me around the 12 ppb range.

If you dosed a full 12 ppb every day, even if every iron atom dosed precipitated as ferric phosphate, you’d only remove 20 ppb of phosphate.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dosed a full 12 ppb every day, even if every iron atom dosed precipitated as ferric phosphate, you’d only remove 20 ppb of phosphate.
Good point. I am not dosing Fe to lower phosphate. I commented on the post that I dose Fe for coral color and was not aware of any impact on phosphate. I am learning about the phosphate discussion and just learned a little more from you, thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back