Dosing kalk

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I'm looking into dosing kalk for my fish and corals.

I have tons of zoas some LPS and some softies.

I think I'll dose 2.5 teaspoons of BRS into my ATO resivour and see how that goes.

Can someone offer some insight ? I've never done this and don't wanna kill anything

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to measure your dKH/calcium daily until you get used to using kalk. Only you can really know if it is working or not working. The amount of evaporation will definitely come into play dosing via ATO. Amount of water in ATO also will have an effect. In other words, saturated kalk water can increase your dKH higher than you like if you use too much and have a lot of evaporation.

Hope this makes sense.

Here is a good article for you to start with:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to measure your dKH/calcium daily until you get used to using kalk. Only you can really know if it is working or not working. The amount of evaporation will definitely come into play dosing via ATO. Amount of water in ATO also will have an effect. In other words, saturated kalk water can increase your dKH higher than you like if you use too much and have a lot of evaporation.

Hope this makes sense.

Some of it does.

I have a 30 gallon long AIO so my evaporation is crazy ~ 5 gallons a week.

I need to start testing for calcium etc so I know if the kalk increases it or not.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Alk, its easier to test than calcium and kalkwasser replaces them in equal parts.

Depending how large your reservoir is I would start with 1 teaspoon. Test Alk as often as possible. Daily is best while you dial it in. If your Alk is increasing through the week, then your next batch of Topoff water you reduce can you reduce the kalk you put in. Vice versa as well if your Alk is decreasing.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Alk, its easier to test than calcium and kalkwasser replaces them in equal parts.

Depending how large your reservoir is I would start with 1 teaspoon. Test Alk as often as possible. Daily is best while you dial it in. If your Alk is increasing through the week, then your next batch of Topoff water you reduce can you reduce the kalk you put in. Vice versa as well if your Alk is decreasing.
It's a five gallon bucket

To confirm alkalinity is not pH or is it?

Back