Dosing Lanthanum Chloride - A Personal Experience

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum phosphate will dissolve in acid (which drops the free PO4— concentration so low that insoluble phosphates will dissolve), but I have not seen analysis of any solids formed from lanthanum dosing.
Hey, Randy. I dose kalkwasser through my ATO. If I rerouted my dosing hose to go through the filter, could I add LaCl to the kalkwasser ATO solution? Or would it bind or precipitate out?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Randy. I dose kalkwasser through my ATO. If I rerouted my dosing hose to go through the filter, could I add LaCl to the kalkwasser ATO solution? Or would it bind or precipitate out?

I expect you would precipitate insoluble lanthanum hydroxide, as happens with magnesium in kalkwasser.

juliomexico13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with using LC is that it rids phosphate really quickly. So I suggest the most diluted mix yiu can do start from there. I remember towards the end I was diluting 1 drop of seaklear in 1 gal of rodi water to keep my phos at 0.03. That 1 gal 1 drop mixture was being dosed 4 times a day just a few ml each time. It's been a while that I did this so I am not 100% of the excat numbers. But in the beginning I was using more and when phos started to fall I didn't need it that much.
Others may chime
How many gallons was the system?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back