Dosing Lanthanum Chloride - A Personal Experience

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would document my experience so that others might benefit. This is not a recommendation on what to do, just my experience.

Suddenly, my SPS, especially some of my largest colonies started to die. It occurred over several weeks. I didn't do anything differently.

To make a long story short. I had ATI check my water and the phosphate was was 1.26. I checked with my Hanna Phosphate PPM (NOT ULR), and the Hana had it at 1.1. I neglected checking phosphates for a while until this problem. I guessed that this was my problem.

Did water changes but the damage was done.

I increased my nitrate to ~5 as measured using Red Sea Nitrate test kit - dosed with potassium nitrate. Nitrates was nearly undetectable before dosing with potassium nitrate. Chaeto growth improved noticeably after dosing. Even with water changes, the phosphate level was only lowered to about 0.91 over 4 weeks. I say about because it fluctuated +/- 0.06. Corals stopped dieing but they didn't grow at all, even fast growing ones like red planet and JF sour twist didn't grow.

Decided to dose lanthanum chloride. Got the SeaKlear Phosphate Remover - 32 oz bottle, the one that stated that will remove 9,000 bbp of phosphates in a 10,000 gallon pool. This bottle will last me forever.

Mixed 5ml of Seaklear phosphate remover into 1 gallon of RO water. Dripped the gallon into the a 5 micron sock into the sump connected to a 300 gallon DT over a 12 hour period. No clouding observed in DT or sump at any point.

24 hours later - no noticeable affects on corals, inverts or fish, including my 7 tangs. Phosphate is now .44 ppm. This was a surprise. I thought it might lower it by about 0.2 PPM and 0.46 PPM was a big surprise. I didn't want phosphate to drop that much due to potential harmful effects on SPS.

No drop in Alk but I did change the pH on my CARx from 6.35 to 6.30 to compensate. My DT pH was 0.2 lower during this exercise, but it could be due to the decrease in CaRx pH or a number of things.

My goal is to get my phosphate to 0.1 PPM, steady state. I will do another dose but this time, I will only add 2ml in 1 gallon of RO.

Will post my results when I do.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been dosing lanthanum for a while now. i also experienced STN on corals. now over 2 yrs of Lanthanum use all phosphates have leached out of the rocks and i dont have to dose much. i mix 1 oz of SeaKlear in 1 gal of rodi water and only dose 250 ml once a week and it keeps my phos levels right at 0 to 0.01 range. no more damage to corals.
Although my experience with it has different effect on tank chemistry.
With lanthanum use i did notice sudden drop in Alk and pH (which both are directly related).

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have either of you had lanthanum show up on ICP testing after using it in tank? I had Triton pick up La in my latest test, and their suggested limit is basically 0.00, so any reading shows as a huge variance from normal. I am trying to decide if the fact that ICP is detecting it is a problem, or if I can continue to use La in tank. It works so well compared to other methods that I have tried so it is hard to forego it completely.

Dennis

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done any professional water testing in timeframe LaCl was used. (Still using in extremely small very diluted form once in a blue moon)

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been dosing lanthanum for a while now. i also experienced STN on corals. now over 2 yrs of Lanthanum use all phosphates have leached out of the rocks and i dont have to dose much. i mix 1 oz of SeaKlear in 1 gal of rodi water and only dose 250 ml once a week and it keeps my phos levels right at 0 to 0.01 range. no more damage to corals.
Although my experience with it has different effect on tank chemistry.
With lanthanum use i did notice sudden drop in Alk and pH (which both are directly related).

I anticipated the decrease in ALK so I turned up my CARX to compensate and it worked.

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completed another dose. This one 36 hours after the completion of the first dose.

Dosed 3ml of SeaKlear Phosphate remover in 1.5 gallons and total dosing time was about 16 hours.

Ph dropped by 0.5 below normal range. No noticeable change in DKh. A little surprising, but it could be my Salifert test is not that precise.

Based on the Hanna ppm Phosphate checker, the phosphate dropped to 0.30 ppm. This is the range that I expected. The first drop was awfully high.

Fish breathing normally, but one yellow tang did have a red mark on his nose. None of the other fish show any signs of distress or any behavioral changes.

All corals seem to be fine.

Most likely, I will make another dose on Friday. Want to give the system, fish and corals time to adjust and to see if any unintended consequence due to lanthanum chloride dosing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made another dose. 3ml in 1.5 gallons of water and dosed over 8 hours.

Beginning phosphate measurement .36. It rose slightly from the last measurement. It rose somewhat but it could be my measurement skills + the Hanna natural precision.

After 8 hours, the new measurement was .2 and again small drops in pH and Alk but nothing alarming.

Yellow with the slightly red nose is fine now. No other issues observed.

It could be my imagination but it seems like the tips of my half of my corals started to lighten.

I still have one more dose before getting to my target of 0.1. Will do that one Sunday.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well documented!

We use LaCl (powder from a chem company) from time to time at my work at a small public aquarium. Works fine for us.

My advice is to change over to Fe/Al-based phosphate remover when the phosphate in your tank gets lower. This is to aviod free LaCl(La that hasn't binded to PO4) in the tank (I'm not a chemist so please feel free to step in and correct me if I'm wrong :) ). I know a couple of other public aquariums that has linked the death of tangs to lanthanum chloride, but I have never seen any papers or numbers so I don't know any details.
To be on the safe side we only dose LaCl when PO4 is high. So in a reef tank with PO4 around 0,08 for example, I set up a filter with remover instead. The number we change from LaCl to remover is around 0,1ppm. But this number is just a guess.

/ David

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completed another dose. This one 36 hours after the completion of the first dose.

Dosed 3ml of SeaKlear Phosphate remover in 1.5 gallons and total dosing time was about 16 hours.

Ph dropped by 0.5 below normal range. No noticeable change in DKh. A little surprising, but it could be my Salifert test is not that precise.

0.5 pH units? Really? not 0.05? Like 8.0 to 7.5?

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well documented!

We use LaCl (powder from a chem company) from time to time at my work at a small public aquarium. Works fine for us.

My advice is to change over to Fe/Al-based phosphate remover when the phosphate in your tank gets lower. This is to aviod free LaCl(La that hasn't binded to PO4) in the tank (I'm not a chemist so please feel free to step in and correct me if I'm wrong :) ). I know a couple of other public aquariums that has linked the death of tangs to lanthanum chloride, but I have never seen any papers or numbers so I don't know any details.
To be on the safe side we only dose LaCl when PO4 is high. So in a reef tank with PO4 around 0,08 for example, I set up a filter with remover instead. The number we change from LaCl to remover is around 0,1ppm. But this number is just a guess.

/ David

This is probably a good plan but my goal is 0.1 ppm. I want to raise alk and and flow, per Dana Riddles research papers and presentation and raise pH based on other studies for coral growth. Will need higher nutrients for this.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with it, it does work well but a tank with high po4 like that will get a lot of it leaching from your rocks. I think I saw someone post above after dosing it for two years he's finally caught up with what has been leaching off the rock work. Sounds about right. When I use it I've never had issues with fish or coral that I know of. I usually dose right into the tank overflows so it mixes prior to getting near the skimmer and being removed.

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another dose today.

Starting phosphase 0.26PPM - a rise from the last test. There is a trend. My rock and feeding habits are adding phosphate fairly rapidly.

3ml in 1.5 gallons of water over ~8 hoursin 5 micron filter sock.

No noticeable effects on corals, fish, pH or Alk.

New measures 0.09 PPM. This is my goal but I feel like I have might have to do this once every two-three weeks to keep it ~0.1 until my rock stop leaching and I stop feeding so much or both.

Gloryofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are y'all dosing this directly into a 5 micron filter sock in the sump, or are you putting a 5 micron filter sock on the overflow spout in the sump and dosing the sump itself?

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are y'all dosing this directly into a 5 micron filter sock in the sump, or are you putting a 5 micron filter sock on the overflow spout in the sump and dosing the sump itself?

Dosing into a 5 micron filter sock in the sump.

OP
OP
vanpire

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easy to use and cheap. $32 bottle will last me forever.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a lot like you but this bottle will last me a long time.

71b4dee9cb4118a4017cdbfd6c4d05ff.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back