Dosing Lanthanum Chloride - A Personal Experience

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im interested in making or buying lanthanum carbonate because its a solid and will be easier to work with and shouldt reduce alk as its carbonate no?

Could you make lanthanum carbonate by adding sodium bicarbonate to the lanthanum chloride?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing more research on Lanthanum Chloride dosing and came across this thread.

I have dosed Blue Life and agent green in the past. I am looking to bring my phosphates down to .03 and keep them steady.

Like the OP stated and bottle of SeaKlear commercial looks like it will last a life time

I am figuring .08 ml per 10 gallon of water volume to cut the phosphates in half. My water volume is 80 gallons and the would be .64 of a milliliter.

I am going to do the feeding back dose the first time with a 1 liter of RO/DI with a slow drip of 8 hours before the filter socks. I will be doing a drip every 2 seconds to get my phosphate were then need to be. Then use my doser to dose a couple of milliliters a week into the the sump just before the filter socks.

Any input? @Dr. Reef
How much do you anticipate that dropping your phosphate by?

Navymedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says here that it is Lanthium Chloride... don't know if it might have other additives that might be harmful. If you look at the question below answered you will see the manufacturer does not recommend for reef tanks...
Screenshot_20190122-120653.jpeg

Navymedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says here that it is Lanthium Chloride... don't know if it might have other additives that might be harmful. If you look at the question below answered you will see the manufacturer does not recommend for reef tanks...
Screenshot_20190122-120653.jpeg
Sorry for misspelling, this app doesn't let me edit [emoji35]

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you anticipate that dropping your phosphate by?

I don’t drop mine any more than about 0.2-0.3

I dropped by almost 0.5 at one time and it killed SPS. It was just too much. It basically stripped the water column.

This was a young tank. The results may be different for a more established reef. IMO GFO can have the same effect if you use too much in a reactor. However...far more damage can easily be done with LaCI.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use agent green? I’m using it now and diluted it into 1 gallon of RODI but I don’t see any floc or precipitation formed? Is it because it’s too dilute and possibly already dilute to begin with?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agent green here also. IS AG a diluted product? @jsker . I was considering adding LatC to topoff container and letting the Felt filter sock on the return do the collecting.
If I add to sock in sump, is this in the return sock or a specific sock placed solely for collecting precip. then if so, Flow requirements? ....ANY picks of the process?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose this very sparingly when my phosphates get above .5 on my hannah. half a dropper into the overflow of my sump. this way it gets some dwel time and then goes into the sock. Maybe every 2 months I use it. I think I have the agent green currently. my best advise is to really take the time to use it. little bit at a time. mine is a maintenance regimen at this point. when I test and see it get to a level that i dont want.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agent green here also. IS AG a diluted product? @jsker . I was considering adding LatC to topoff container and letting the Felt filter sock on the return do the collecting.
If I add to sock in sump, is this in the return sock or a specific sock placed solely for collecting precip. then if so, Flow requirements? ....ANY picks of the process?

Are you dosing straight from the bottle or diluting it?

I just put a 5 micron sock at the drain from the DT and dripped into the sock. I did a gallon in about 7-8 hours, but I'm unsure if diluting it would was a good idea. I'm thinking of dropping what I need into the overflow undiluted tonight.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the OP is using a different brand and severely dilutes his. Maybe to prolong exposure? Im going to mix a qwart of Ro with 10 ml LC and dose 2ml every hour and see....My phos is off the charts . 160 to 180 ULR

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the OP is using a different brand and severely dilutes his. Maybe to prolong exposure? Im going to mix a qwart of Ro with 10 ml LC and dose 2ml every hour and see....My phos is off the charts . 160 to 180 ULR

If you're using the seaklear stuff then you have to dilute it.

I thought you were using agent green?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first started dosing LC years ago. I was diluting 1oz to 1 gal of rodi water. Then dose 500ml per day broken over 24 hrs.
Reason for diluting is the residue/particles it creates can and will hurt tangs and other fish with sensitive gills. It will milky up the water as well and residue will stick to pumps/pipes/impellars and in cases causing malfunction on equipment.
Also remember these products are made to go in thousands of gallons of water compared to our few hundred gal tanks.
LC has tremendous power to bring phos down with just a few drops in given tanks.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first started dosing LC years ago. I was diluting 1oz to 1 gal of rodi water. Then dose 500ml per day broken over 24 hrs.
Reason for diluting is the residue/particles it creates can and will hurt tangs and other fish with sensitive gills. It will milky up the water as well and residue will stick to pumps/pipes/impellars and in cases causing malfunction on equipment.
Also remember these products are made to go in thousands of gallons of water compared to our few hundred gal tanks.
LC has tremendous power to bring phos down with just a few drops in given tanks.

Yep. I know you don't use agent green, I am, but do you suggest I'd dilute that and slow drip it too? If it's mixed in pure RODI, it should have the same effect no? I was expecting instant cloudiness the moment it touched my water, but it didn't. I took agent green undiluted and dropped a few drops into my sump: no floc or cloudiness or precipitation. So it tells me maybe agent green is already diluted enough?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I know you don't use agent green, I am, but do you suggest I'd dilute that and slow drip it too? If it's mixed in pure RODI, it should have the same effect no? I was expecting instant cloudiness the moment it touched my water, but it didn't. I took agent green undiluted and dropped a few drops into my sump: no floc or cloudiness or precipitation. So it tells me maybe agent green is already diluted enough?

I havent used it but its made for aquarium use and it does not say to dilute it. If its not causing any cloudiness or precipitation then i would use as recommended.
SeaKlear used to make aquarium use LC and it didnt require dilution either.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent used it but its made for aquarium use and it does not say to dilute it. If its not causing any cloudiness or precipitation then i would use as recommended.
SeaKlear used to make aquarium use LC and it didnt require dilution either.

I think I'll dose it straight into the overflow tonight.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back