Dosing Lanthanum Chloride - A Personal Experience

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 1ML LaCI to 1000ML (1 Liter) RODI water to my 140/G total water volume over 6-8 hours.

Just go slow. That’s the key to minimize stressing your coral. Dose into a 10 micron filter sock or into neck of skimmer to prevent fish from getting stressed.

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have tried different mixing ratios there's not a set value. I will suggest to make the solution as weak as possible so maybe like 1 oz per gallon. Started dosing at maybe 5 ml per day and see what it leads to. That's if your phosphates are high if they're already low enough then few drops of this solution will take care of it.
Also make sure to drip this solution into a filter sock at least 10 micron or even 5 if you can get them

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use sock I use sediment filter 5 or 10 micron but I have purchased socks before and usually on ebay.
One you mentioned is fine.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing more research on Lanthanum Chloride dosing and came across this thread.

I have dosed Blue Life and agent green in the past. I am looking to bring my phosphates down to .03 and keep them steady.

Like the OP stated and bottle of SeaKlear commercial looks like it will last a life time

I am figuring .08 ml per 10 gallon of water volume to cut the phosphates in half. My water volume is 80 gallons and the would be .64 of a milliliter.

I am going to do the feeding back dose the first time with a 1 liter of RO/DI with a slow drip of 8 hours before the filter socks. I will be doing a drip every 2 seconds to get my phosphate were then need to be. Then use my doser to dose a couple of milliliters a week into the the sump just before the filter socks.

Any input? @Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker
I would start very slow. I would mix only .25oz in 1 gal of rodi water and slowly drip over time like you mentioned.
Seaklear is very strong and leaves small white particles that can hurt gills of fish.
I would use a filter sock minimum 10 micron to catch the particles, rather drip right into sock.
Once you have achieved the levels then using doser make a much weaker solution and drip accordingly.
In my 250gal I drip 1 drop of weak solution every 14 days to keep phos at 0.01-0.03

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replay. Yes I will be starting very slow with the .08 ml per 10 gallons of water volume.

From what I am understanding is that you have used 3.78 liters of RO/DI with 7.48 ml to treat a 946 liter system? This is were I am coming up with the .08 ml per 10 gallons of water volume. Just doing the math from yours and other posts to help future readers:)

Lets see if this adds up

I would use .02 ml per gallon of tank water volume for every one liter of RO/DI

Seaklear is very strong and leaves small white particles that can hurt gills of fish.
I would use a filter sock minimum 10 micron to catch the particles, rather drip right into sock.

Yes. Some of the product out there, one can just dose the system, and from reading and watching dosing before the filter socks in the sump is more effective.

In my 250gal I drip 1 drop of weak solution every 14 days to keep phos at 0.01-0.03

Are you running GFO?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no gfo. i have been using LC for few years now and over time dosage decreased as in the beginning the rocks were leaching and now after few years all phos is out of the system and thus only a few drops every month can take care of phos in my system now,
and yes your math looks good to me.

Haxar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a lot like you but this bottle will last me a long time.

71b4dee9cb4118a4017cdbfd6c4d05ff.jpg
Do you dose this in a filter socks too or direct .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back