Dosing live additives - how to use skimmer and UV

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to dose phytoplankton and MB7 and I wonder how should I operate skimmer and UV.
How much time after dosing should I wait till I can safely turn on both of them? I don't want to put them in the tank just to burn by UV and suck them out through the foam.

Any ideas?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing live phyto.
Switched from skimming 24/7 to 12/7. Skimmer runs 8pm to 8am.
Dose phyto at 9am.
So far so good.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do any research about that or just used a hunch? This is something may be difficult to see the result. Your tank may still be in a good shape without phyto.
My meter is the polyp extension on a green slimer acro, among others.
They are really happy since starting the phyto and 12/7 skimmer schedule.
So far the results to my slimer are obvious. Now is it the phyto or reduced skimming? TBD
I read these forums for different reefers experiences and results, that is my research.
Many here think a couple of hours with no skimmer is enough, not sure that's true or just convenient. I wanted to reduce skimming as well to trial that, to see who likes it.
An action/experiment can produce good results or bad, either way you learn something. With inaction, not so much.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back