Dosing Mag

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My mag consumption has been increasing over the last couple months. I've decided to let the coralline algae rent the back and sides of my 110G display. So, my consumption in general is up. I'd like to put my mag on an auto doser. @Randy Holmes-Farley I read where you have been quoted saying that dosing Mag should equal about 18% of your alk/cal amounts. I am currently dosing 2 part w/ TM balling, which is really 4 part, no? lol. The quote was >10yo so I wanted to verify that nothing has changed. Also, I currently dose Alk and Cal in 12 equal amounts 1 hour apart at the top of the hour with Part C being 24 times a day at the bottom of the hour. Should I make Part C :20 and Mag :40? Since I was asking, I just bundled that question, as I just thought of it and didn't research it. Thanks in advance.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, you dose according to consumption. Measure each and dose accordingly. Keep each parameter stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag consumption has been increasing over the last couple months. I've decided to let the coralline algae rent the back and sides of my 110G display. So, my consumption in general is up. I'd like to put my mag on an auto doser. @Randy Holmes-Farley I read where you have been quoted saying that dosing Mag should equal about 18% of your alk/cal amounts. I am currently dosing 2 part w/ TM balling, which is really 4 part, no? lol. The quote was >10yo so I wanted to verify that nothing has changed. Also, I currently dose Alk and Cal in 12 equal amounts 1 hour apart at the top of the hour with Part C being 24 times a day at the bottom of the hour. Should I make Part C :20 and Mag :40? Since I was asking, I just bundled that question, as I just thought of it and didn't research it. Thanks in advance.

That system will be deficient in magnesium, so I would dose more. I expect you can out more magnesium into the Balling Part C to cut down on the number of dosing solutions. Magnesium and sulfate are the main components in Part C, but it’s not enough magnesium to offset demand.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back