Dosing magnesium

  • Thread starter Thread starter reeftard31
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reeftard31

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 21 gal tank and have never dosed mag before. I checked my levels and it’s appearing to show 450 ppm and that I need to add almost 2000 ml of EVS mag solution. I’m just wanting to make sure that sounds right or maybe I did the test wrong and there’s no way?
 
Are you sure mag is the only deficient component? I know @Randy Holmes-Farley advocates to not dose or test mag individually as a deficiency of mag generally indicates a deficiency of other components that can be better handled with a broader dosing solution?
 
Check your salinity first. As mentioned above getting a Ca and ALK reading will help to determine how to correct any imbalance.
 
It is likely you are reading it backwards, as often happens with Salifert.

Be sure that reading the table and syringe, if you dosed a full syringe to get to the color change endpoint, magnesium is high, not low.

A low level means you added very little from the syringe to get to the color change.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new