Dosing Methods

K9DoberMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, and thanks sharing. I've been reefing for about 12 years and used only the first two listed methods of dosing.

Recently i restarted my entire reef and have only a few SPS. Until now kalk has been more than enough, but i am trying to figure out where to go next. After going through these threads i came up with this logic/rational:

Dosing Solutions vs. Rational

1. Kalkwasser -> (Inexpensive + Simple)(Nano Reef)
2. Two Part (Bicarb/Ca) -> (Simple)(One has no low PH problem)
3. Three Part (Ash/Ca/Mg) + [Kalkwasser] - > (More dosing Control/Adjustments)
4. Two Part (Ash+NaSO4/Ca+MgCl2) + [Kalkwasser] -> (Easy + Equilibrium)
5. Three Part (NaOH/Ca/Mg) -> (One can't handle large Kalk container/Evaporation limit)
6. Two Part (NaOH+NaSO4/Ca+MgCl2) -> (+Equilibrium but possible precipitate)
7. One Part (All4Reef) + [Kalkwasser] -> (Easy but Expensive and Less dosing control)

Note: [ ] = Optional

I think i will go for listed method 4.

Are there any other significant methods not listed? Am i not seeing the right picture? Please comment. Thx

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, and thanks sharing. I've been reefing for about 12 years and used only the first two listed methods of dosing.

Recently i restarted my entire reef and have only a few SPS. Until now kalk has been more than enough, but i am trying to figure out where to go next. After going through these threads i came up with this logic/rational:

Dosing Solutions vs. Rational

1. Kalkwasser -> (Inexpensive + Simple)(Nano Reef)
2. Two Part (Bicarb/Ca) -> (Simple)(One has no low PH problem)
3. Three Part (Ash/Ca/Mg) + [Kalkwasser] - > (More dosing Control/Adjustments)
4. Two Part (Ash+NaSO4/Ca+MgCl2) + [Kalkwasser] -> (Easy + Equilibrium)
5. Three Part (NaOH/Ca/Mg) -> (One can't handle large Kalk container/Evaporation limit)
6. Two Part (NaOH+NaSO4/Ca+MgCl2) -> (+Equilibrium but possible precipitate)
7. One Part (All4Reef) + [Kalkwasser] -> (Easy but Expensive and Less dosing control)

Note: [ ] = Optional

I think i will go for listed method 4.

Are there any other significant methods not listed? Am i not seeing the right picture? Please comment. Thx
Balling Method is missing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your choice 4 is a fine one, in my opinion.

As to the list, Instead of trying to outline every possible combination of all of the various 2-3 part systems (including Balling) of which there are a great many combinations with functional differences, I would describe them functionally:

1. Alk is dosed as one part, with bicarbonate, carbonate or hydroxide as the alk component. Choice depends on the pH boost you want.

2. Calcium is dosed as another part containing calcium chloride.

3. Other major and minor ions are dosed while already in parts 1 and 2, or all in a separate third part, or not at all. This can be a short list of ions (magnesium, chloride and sulfate) or a longer list of ions (up to all other seawater ions).

4. Trace elements can be A. not intentionally added, B. added exactly to offset reductions due to salinity corrections, or C. to offset consumption and the salinity correction.

I'd add that there are other one part options as well, such as Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium, and Salifert All In one.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your choice 4 is a fine one, in my opinion.

As to the list, Instead of trying to outline every possible combination of all of the various 2-3 part systems (including Balling) of which there are a great many combinations with functional differences, I would describe them functionally:

1. Alk is dosed as one part, with bicarbonate, carbonate or hydroxide as the alk component. Choice depends on the pH boost you want.

2. Calcium is dosed as another part containing calcium chloride.

3. Other major and minor ions are dosed while already in parts 1 and 2, or all in a separate third part, or not at all. This can be a short list of ions (magnesium, chloride and sulfate) or a longer list of ions (up to all other seawater ions).

4. Trace elements can be A. not intentionally added, B. added exactly to offset reductions due to salinity corrections, or C. to offset consumption and the salinity correction.

I'd add that there are other one part options as well, such as Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium, and Salifert All In one.

@Randy Holmes-Farley ...great way to think about dosing. Thanks!

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fauna Maring (@Fauna Marin) Balling light method.

3 buckets (2part), no NaCl free salt, but heavy trace replenishment (in practice near 3 part, but each part can be adjusted and traces account for possible NaCl building up. In practice on my ICPs it did not happen (Na usually on the lower side of normal limits).

To me pretty easy to use and working very well for about 2 years, much better than previous methods I’ve used before.

In my case I replenish traces in dosages for the US Style method with the product (higher dosing).

E68E186A-17BE-4067-B564-E73C50C90E65.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back