Dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos results achieved, now what?

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos. My tank is a 90G mixed reef, SPS heavy. Prior to starting dosing I tested both Phosphates and Nitrates at 0 for months.

Sat 15 Jul 0900 Phos 0 Nitrate .1 Started Dosing 7ml NeoNitro and 7ml NeoPhos daily during evening feeding
Sun 16 Jul 1000 Phos 0 Nitrate .6
Mon 17 Jul 1800 Phos 0 Nitrate .5
Wed 19 Jul 0900 Phos .03 Nitrate 1.0

I think I'll continue dosing the NeoNitro at 7ml daily. I think a target of 5 is what I'm looking to attain. With the Phosphates at an acceptable level I'm not sure if I should cut todays dosage in half or skip it entirely? I'll test again tomorrow either way and adjust from there. Thanks for the advise

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results this morning

Phosphate .10 Nitrate 11.7

On Sunday I added an auto feeder to my tank. Now I'm consistently feeding 2x pellet and 1 1/2 cube frozen daily. I'm super paranoid of loosing control of phosphates so I think I'll keep dosing 15 ml of the NeoNitro and NeoPhos while increasing the amount of my feeding.

Not sure what changes will happen, but those values now are certainly fine,.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what changes will happen, but those values now are certainly fine,.
Randy, Now you've got me thinking.

Are you saying increasing my feeding, say adding a 3rd or even 4th pellet feeding and another cube of frozen (unrinsed I'll add lol) will not be a significate enough increase to overcome my filtration i.e. skimmer, cheato and rockwork. Or the effect of the resulting increase in N&P would be negligible?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, Now you've got me thinking.

Are you saying increasing my feeding, say adding a 3rd or even 4th pellet feeding and another cube of frozen (unrinsed I'll add lol) will not be a significate enough increase to overcome my filtration i.e. skimmer, cheato and rockwork. Or the effect of the resulting increase in N&P would be negligible?

I do not know what will happen if you increase feeding, but I'm not sure why you think the values will decline if you keep dosing as you were.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what will happen if you increase feeding, but I'm not sure why you think the values will decline if you keep dosing as you were.
I don't think my values will decline. I may have read something into your response.

My concern is blowing past my target #'s not reverting back to too clean.

My plan is to continue dosing 15ml N&P while increasing feeding.

I'm happy with my tank in its current state, I'd be content if I could maintain these numbers forever but if I can feed more and still have capacity to handle more I'll continue to tinker.

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch bumpin it all at once. I have to dose neophos and neonitro every couple days because in find it will not be consumed daily at the same rate. Some days it holds steady for 3 days and then all of the sudden drops. I have found around every other day works better and keeps the swings down. And also upping your feeding schedule all at once might let algae taKe hold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch bumpin it all at once. I have to dose neophos and neonitro every couple days because in find it will not be consumed daily at the same rate. Some days it holds steady for 3 days and then all of the sudden drops. I have found around every other day works better and keeps the swings down. And also upping your feeding schedule all at once might let algae taKe hold.
Thanks, yep just trying to take it slow. I've tried keeping feeding consistent while adjusting product. Now maintain product and increasing feeding.

Upvote 0

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think my values will decline. I may have read something into your response.

My concern is blowing past my target #'s not reverting back to too clean.

My plan is to continue dosing 15ml N&P while increasing feeding.

I'm happy with my tank in its current state, I'd be content if I could maintain these numbers forever but if I can feed more and still have capacity to handle more I'll continue to tinker.
I’m trying to raise my nitrates as well but walking the tightrope as well because I’m trying to keep my PO4 in check due to a GHA outbreak. With the raising of the nutrients, how have your coral responded?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to raise my nitrates as well but walking the tightrope as well because I’m trying to keep my PO4 in check due to a GHA outbreak. With the raising of the nutrients, how have your coral responded?
All corals are doing well. Mostly encrusting so its hard to judge growth but everyone seems happy and healthy. I've been playing with my feeding and finally have the kinks worked out of my autofeeder. Tested this morning and results were Nitrate 15.6 and Phosphate .28. Now that my feeding has been consistent for 3 days I'm going to reduce my dose to 10ml daily and see what my test results are on Saturday.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my water this morning expecting to see a dip in N&P after skipping Wed's 15 ml dose.

Nitrate 15.7 Phosphate .32

Admittedly I've been feeding ALOT more since adding the autofeeder about 1 1/2 weeks into the dosing experiment. I cut back the pellet feeding slightly and I'm done dosing till theirs a need.

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my water this morning expecting to see a dip in N&P after skipping Wed's 15 ml dose.

Nitrate 15.7 Phosphate .32

Admittedly I've been feeding ALOT more since adding the autofeeder about 1 1/2 weeks into the dosing experiment. I cut back the pellet feeding slightly and I'm done dosing till theirs a need.
Wise descision

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturdays results Nitrate 14.7 Phosphate .34
Sundays results Nitrate 12.9 Phosphate .24

I have not dosed N&P since Wednesday. Now that I've stopped adjusting my feeding I'll continue to monitor and when N&P #'s hit my targets I'll start dosing again, reducing my dose from 15 to 5 or 10 ml daily. The experiment continues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I'm ready to end this experiment and call it a success. Started as dosing N&P to raise Nitrates and Phosphates to a range that feed and keep SPS happy. Then after adding 3 Wrasses and an autofeeder the experiment transitioned to one of balancing nutrient import and export.

Tested this morning Nitrate 11.7 Phosphate .26

I think after my next water change my Phosphate # will drop right into my target range. Consistent feeding should result in stable N&P test results within my target range and I may need a booster dose of N or P after WC occasionally to keep readings from falling too far.

Upvote 0

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I hear ya, yeah I'm happy to have .04 tbh but it's a struggle keeping N and P anything above ZERO! But I'll myself keep poking away and focus on the 2 and nothing else.

And you say it's a puzzle lol, yeah mine is a mystery puzzle but different circumstances were involved but I did learn a lesson. TIME haha and some days I don't think I have enough time. Heck I'm 52 and every day I think how many days do I have left to enjoy my reefing that I did 20 yrs ago. Sometimes I think will I wake up the next day?? Gawd I hope to be around another 30+ years but having a heart condition my days are numbered sad to say. But positive side of things is I'll refuse to move on and fight for the tanks life and my own at the same time :)
Yup I hear ya, yeah I'm happy to have .04 tbh but it's a struggle keeping N and P anything above ZERO! But I'll myself keep poking away and focus on the 2 and nothing else.

And you say it's a puzzle lol, yeah mine is a mystery puzzle but different circumstances were involved but I did learn a lesson. TIME haha and some days I don't think I have enough time. Heck I'm 52 and every day I think how many days do I have left to enjoy my reefing that I did 20 yrs ago. Sometimes I think will I wake up the next day?? Gawd I hope to be around another 30+ years but having a heart condition my days are numbered sad to say. But positive side of things is I'll refuse to move on and fight for the tanks life and my own at the same time :)
I feel you... January 13th of this year, actually January Friday the13th I had open heart surgery. So I can relate... I have had saltwater tanks since my first in 1985, it's been a couple years now! Wow gads... There is not enough time I agree I want to see my tanks flourish for years to come.. Focused on the two as well right now NO3 zero and PO4 .08. I am running some 300+ gallons on one system it's a 29 year set-up right now. Old school reefing, Vortex Diatoms, T-12's, single ended Halide, Iwaki 100FY pumps, with real power heads, with a total 240lbs of live reef rock you will never see again! Every day I enjoy my saltwater tanks I have them at work... I never, ever, have had any sodium deficiency here...ever... lol "Keep On Reefing... On... Peace

Attachments

• ! AAAAAA Keep On Truckin.png
    ! AAAAAA Keep On Truckin.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I'm ready to end this experiment and call it a success. Started as dosing N&P to raise Nitrates and Phosphates to a range that feed and keep SPS happy. Then after adding 3 Wrasses and an autofeeder the experiment transitioned to one of balancing nutrient import and export.

Tested this morning Nitrate 11.7 Phosphate .26

I think after my next water change my Phosphate # will drop right into my target range. Consistent feeding should result in stable N&P test results within my target range and I may need a booster dose of N or P after WC occasionally to keep readings from falling too far.

FWIW, a 50% wter change typically won't drop phospahte by 50% due to release of phosphate from rock and sand when you lower the level in the water, but your current levels are not a substantial problem.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back